fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

BMW g650 xchallenge (because X)

Home Forums Bikes BMW BMW g650 xchallenge (because X)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    xdodox (R.I.P)
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW G650 X-Challenge

Pretty nice ride. Respect!!!

octopusenvy
    Participant
    • Bike: 2102 Husaberg FE570 Rally Australia Bike, 2007 BMW 650 x-Challenge, 2009 Buell XP Ulysses Police Duty (1 of 137)

Just want to say that it’s cool to have such a busy thread for only 10bikes or so in the country guys, well done! I just returned from overseas to find that I didn’t quite smudge my GST numbers right, and instead of coming in just under the threshold of $400ZD, I came in just over DAMMIT! So instead of waiving the $60 of GST on my new Britannia Lynx fairing (complete with HID, 12v, usb, adjustable screen), I was charged $60.35 GST…plus $28 transaction, plus MAF, plus more GST on those services for a total of $108 owed 🙁 🙁

I’m annoyed because the fairing is actually worth over $800NZD, and I should have asked the guy to make the value smaller, like $300CAD! At least I wasn’t charged GST on $800…

Anyhow, I’m about to head off again to ride the Himalayas for 5wks! Excited, nervous, and totally not prepared, but all good as 3rd time in India (first time riding tho). I’ll do a ride or two before I head off, but keep those posts coming. Enjoy those X’s over winter!

Stefan Becker
    Participant

great weekend ride from wellington up to taranaki,forgotten world highway over to tongariro,and desert road back down to welli,…1000k`s in 2 days,but my airhawk seat cushion saved the day;)

octopusenvy
    Participant
    • Bike: 2102 Husaberg FE570 Rally Australia Bike, 2007 BMW 650 x-Challenge, 2009 Buell XP Ulysses Police Duty (1 of 137)

OK…for those of you X owners who have lots of bike admirers…can you please direct them my way if they want one? I didn’t want to sell, and would only swap out my x for one other bike which appeared a few weeks ago. So I’m off to Tasmania to collect it, ride it, and ship it home. Hell, its a mission, but an ADV ready 2012 570fe Husaberg is a dream bike. I think it will do what the X can, and lighter and faster. The new 701 Husqvarna will be grunty as hell but expensive and heavy compared with the x and certainly the 115kg 570. Hope I’m making the right choice, but please help sell my X if you know anyone. Its a 2009, its got only 12000 certified kms, full Remus Freeride exhaust, a Renazco seat, lots of manuals, service history, some other spares (oem can/exhaust manifold, etc).

If the 570 proves not so comfy…I’ll keep the X but can’t justify both really. thanks in advance

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

Any bites yet @octopusenvy?

octopusenvy
    Participant

I had a little nibble from a girl in whangarei, but she’s only got money for xmas now. Still very keen to sell now that my 570 is floating over from Oz….know anyone Eddie?

octopusenvy
    Participant

[Bittersweet] update…

My X is now owned by another and is a Cantabrian! Bike sold, albeit sadly, to a happy new owner in CHCH. He had a KTM530exc, but saw how capable and comfortable the X was when his mate was ripping thru rivers and gravel. Although I’m relieved finanacially that I’m down to one ADV bike, I still love the 650x and plan to buy/sell one when I go to the states next year to ride the CDR…i think its ideal for that wide open riding between off-road adventures. So please don’t shun me, but the 570 was a dream bike, and I thought very carefully about keeping both. In the end it was a financial decision, and lack of space.

I’ve now ridden the 570 2500kms in Tasmania on very mixed terrain and can compare with the 650x. My 570 is fully kitted for ADV with heated grips (i used when it snowed/hailed on me!), a larger safari tank that gives me 320-330kms to empty, and a very comfortable Seat Concepts seat. The 570 is more of a 40/60 road bike vs 60/40 650x, however with mods they can both be a good 50/50. If u ride more dirt, go the 570. If u ride more road then the 650x is for you. One thing tho, having a bike that’s only 120kg wet certainly is amazing, and the suspension is fantastic!

Ride on 650x lovers!

Steve71
    Participant

Hi I have a 2007 xcountry, how many xcountry riders are on here?

octopusenvy
    Participant

<cite> @Steve71 said:</cite>
    Hi I have a 2007 xcountry, how many xcountry riders are on here?

Gday Steve, not sure how many are Xcountry riders, but feel free to post info or questions. The Xcountry is an interesting beast, and surely would have been more popular if there was no Xchallenge. It’s also really good for vertically challenged people. Holla if u need anything.

BTW all, I own a 650x again, Woohoo! As stated, I sold mine in NZ to make way for the Husaberg, excellent decision! But I am planning a Canada/USA/Mexico/SouthAmerica trip and just organised another Xchallenge in California 🙂 Ohlins suspension, SeatConcepts seat, LeoVince exhaust, carbon guards, new MT21 tyres, custom paint job, screen, ktm folding mirrors, center stand, touratech rear rack, near new chain/sprockets…$3000usd 🙂 🙂 🙂 Slightly higher mileage (normal for USA), but elderly owned and not pushed much at all the last 15000miles. Stoked.

octopusenvy
    Participant

Welcome steve, not many xcountry guys here but don’t let that stop u. if it weren’t for the xchallenge overshadowing the xcountry, it would be more well regarded. great bike for shorter people too. Post away here or ask any questions if you need to.

FWIW, I’m back in the X club! As promised, I got another xchallenge for a big trip over this year and next year in Canada/USA/Mexico/SouthAmerica all the way to TDF. Pretty happy with it for only $3000USD! Extras include Ohlins suspension, SeatConcepts seat, LeoVince exhaust, carbon shields, screen, touratech tail rack, new MT21 set, good chain/sprockets, center stand, KTM folding mirrors, custom paint job. Slightly higher mileage (average for USA), but elderly owned and moved on to a guy who just recently bought but then had a baby, so fast score for me! I’ve even got a line on OEM $40 passenger pegs (impossible to find)! SORTED.

Pablo Sosa
    Participant

Bike has now 90K and have completed the service.
    BMW G650X Challenge R

Now have new front fender,
    New chain guide. Now this is not for posers as it happened that I lost the chain on a fast flowing river.

octopusenvy
    Participant

Awesome Pablo. Makes me feel better about buying an xchallenge with 25000miles on the clock. A bunch of posts for total mileage just went up on the ADVrider thread and plenty there with over 50,000miles. Of course Colebatch has over 150,000kms on his in tough conditions so they should go on and on.

If anyone is interested in a Lynx R fairing, I still have it for sale brand new. It was going to sell to a friend, but I thought he had a 690. It was actually a 530, which doesn’t fit well. So I’m returning it to Canada end of June, if I don’t sell here. Very nice of the owner/designer (Britannia Fairings). FYI they have gone up in price so this is a bargain at 850nzd with top end HID/LED lights.

octopusenvy
    Participant

anyone have spare parts like clutch and throttle cables for their xchallenge? I’m after one of each. Thanks in advance

Pablo Sosa
    Participant

I’m considering to sell my X and was wondering whether you guys have a suggestion of what is a fair price for it. The bike has 91,000k and is in good condition and well maintained. I’ll sell it on standard trim.

octopusenvy
    Participant

Hola Pablo, q tal? That is a long and loving relationship you are considering leaving…which means you are looking at other bikes on the sly. What are you specifically considering?

As for selling an Xchallenge in standard trim with 91,000kms, you have to take a few things into consideration. Firstly, what kind of maintenance records do you have? How many times and what specifically has been done to the engine in it’s lifetime?

The 2nd consideration is the general public opinion on high mileage motorbikes. Here in NZ, anything bmw over 50,000kms is ‘aged’ and although they can go well over 100k, it does affect resale value.

Knowing the bike, and making assumptions that it is in very good condition with good drive chain, good tyres, pads, etc, I would consider the value to be around the $3500NZD mark. I’m basing that on seeing bikes with 30,000kms sell for $5500NZD, and one non-runner sell for $4000NZD with low kms. This is only my opinion, and you would still have to find someone willing to pay $3500 for a bike with 91,000kms that is close to 10yrs old.

Here in NZ, people like lower km bikes, especially off-road bikes, and farkles since they cost so much to buy from NZ. Bikes that would be considered in this range would be DR650, DRZ400, G650, etc, and you can easily find capable ones in the $3000-$6000 range that are newer and fewer kms.

Personally I’d just keep it 😉

If you do end up selling, all the very best, you will likely miss it when gone.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.