fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

The Boots Thread

Home Forums General Discussion Gear The Boots Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Scott Baxter
    Participant

Just curious, what types of boots are you guys wearing for your rides? I am seeing every ride it seems has a few up to waist deep river crossings. Somehow I think my leather Velcro boots aren’t going to do the trick.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

I’m wearing some relatively cheap Moto-x boots at the moment but I need a new pair as the sole has shagged out from the knobs on the footpegs. If you are doing waist deep water crossings I doubt anything except a pair of fishing waders are going to keep the water out.

Scott Baxter
    Participant

Seems like every video up on your site has a waist deep river crossing doesnt it? I havent done those before, but just trying to have the proper equipment

Eddieb
    Keymaster

There’s a lot of water crossings in the videos but I can only think of one that has a waist high crossing, most are only ankle to axle deep.

Box.a.Bits
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW R80 G/S, R100GS & M72 Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200

I have Forma Adventure boots that have a waterproof liner inside. Unfortunately 3 or 4 years of use have degraded this (it leaks now). The downside of waterproof liners is that if you do get wet, then they retain the water for much longer.

The trade off between Adventure boots or MX boots is that MX boots make walking harder work. But they offer better protection, & are better if you stand on your pegs for any length of time.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I need to update my boots, my current pair are Fly Trekker MX boots and my Pivot Pegz have worn right through the sole to the metal shank.

I’m looking at Adventure boots but my budget is very much at the lower end of the scale, currently I’m considering 2 different models

Falco 411 Mixton – Adventure/Touring Boots $ 299

http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/products/1932-falco_adventure_boots/11460-falco_411_mixton_adventuretour.aspx

Gaerne Adventure (Dual Sport) Boots $359
    http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/products/1297-gaerne_adventure_riding_boots/5175-gaerne_adventure_dual_sport_bo.aspx

What are you using and do you have any experience of these 2 models?

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Torpoedo 7 have a Online only Clearance on AXO Freedom Adventure WP Boots at $200

https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/3ABWXN3FA/title/axo-freedom-adventure-wp-boots

Richard Harvey
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW F650GS Twin

I have used these boots, army lace up style, they do not leak, when you lace them up the tongue seals up the front and you get a good seal around your leg. I bought them about 3 years ago on TM second hand for $60.00.
    They were used in Northern India through many water crossings, many times having to help others through.
    They are a bit dirty from the last 2 rides. But nugget them up and dubbin if you know your going to get wet.
    Even in the heaviest rain the driest part of my body is always my feet.
    All these fancy $300.00 boots with clips, or soft fronts never work the same as laces.
    Plus these a flexible and you can walk distance in them comfortably.
    Hope this helps.

Richard Harvey
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW F650GS Twin

Opps pics tobig

Jimmy With 2 Eyes
    Participant

I have Forma Cape Horn Adventure boot’s eh’ they work well for me eszii to walk in to by the way!!!! They could do with a better inner but apart from that I’m happii with em’

Attachments:
    Eddieb
    Keymaster

@Facebook – Jimiwith2eyes said:
    I have Forma Cape Horn Adventure boot’s eh’ they work well for me eszii to walk in to by the way!!!! They could do with a better inner but apart from that I’m happii with em’

They look like great boots but too expensive for me Jimmi. A the moment I’m going to try and get a pair of the Gaerne Adventure boots.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Here’s a handy boot sizing chart and info

Hadrian Haine
    Participant
    • Bike: 08 Husaberg FE 450 and a classic 86 Honda XLR250R

I have lizards skinz pads so shin protectionand ankle support are all built-in to them along with nknee pads… but have been thinking of some thing better than combats (highly recommended value for money) or steel toe steel, shanked gumboots under leggings in the wet.
    So am following this thread.

Removed User

Timberland Pro Boots from USA – 8 inches high, steel caps and full grain leather.
    Perfect for ADV riding.
    Landed here in New Zealand for less than $90! Second hand, almost new from eBay.
    I am happy with them. They are bloody awesome.
    Not heavy either.
    When you stop you have a comfy boot that can be walked around in and on the trails you have a boot that will not slip when pushing the bike if required…
    Why pay those stupidly expensive prices for boots especially when the dollar is precious amongst us.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@Eddieb said:
    Gaerne Adventure (Dual Sport) Boots $359
    http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/products/1297-gaerne_adventure_riding_boots/5175-gaerne_adventure_dual_sport_bo.aspx

I ended up with a pair of the Gaerne Adventure boots, they seem pretty comfy so far.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.