No products in the cart.

Home Forums Bikes Suzuki Can a off road only DRZ 400 be made road Legal?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  rusty 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Gaggan
    Participant

Hi

I have a 2008 DRZ 400 and I want to register it for the road for adventure riding.
    It’s the model that comes without brake lights etc.
    Has anyone registered one of these??

Any help would be fantastic

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Hi Gaggan

It looks like this guy has done it

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/dual-purpose/auction-997255996.htm

@gaggan said:
    Hi

I have a 2008 DRZ 400 and I want to register it for the road for adventure riding.
    It’s the model that comes without brake lights etc.
    Has anyone registered one of these??

Any help would be fantastic

Needs Must
    Participant

I looked at putting a WR450 on the road and from what I found out it may be possible, if the bike has a VIN no ant VTNZ have a record of it, it makes it a lot easier so I would suggest ringing them and running the number, after that you ether need to be able to trace ownership back to the shop that sold it and have a copy of the receipt or you can apply to VTNZ at a cost of $180. for an exemption and the police check it and so forth still not garenteed, after that it is just a matter of getting it complied (just a really strict wof) and registration all up about $800.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

What about costs for a road kit? lights indicators loom, switches etc.

@Needs Must said:
    I looked at putting a WR450 on the road and from what I found out it may be possible, if the bike has a VIN no ant VTNZ have a record of it, it makes it a lot easier so I would suggest ringing them and running the number, after that you ether need to be able to trace ownership back to the shop that sold it and have a copy of the receipt or you can apply to VTNZ at a cost of $180. for an exemption and the police check it and so forth still not garenteed, after that it is just a matter of getting it complied (just a really strict wof) and registration all up about $800.

Needs Must
    Participant

The bike I was looking at had head/tail light, the compliance chap I spoke to at VTNZ said that I could have used any after market lights I wanted as long as they are rated for the road (have a number on the lenses) and I had a set of indicators already.

rusty
    Participant

I had the same thought once and ended up just selling that trail dr and buying a road legal one.
    you can get electrical kits for them and most bike s from aussie, but the cost of it plus freight n customs duty plus gst will out weigh the cost of it then if u are not a electrical wiz n have to get an auto sparky it can quite easily cost u a packet. n it wont make your dr worth much more.save your yourself the vin, kit cost n u got a good deposit on a newby, n way less hassle

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.