Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Cape Palliser to Akitio

Home Forums Riding Where to ride Cape Palliser to Akitio

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bruce_carter
    Participant

Topics Created: 1
    Replies posted: 2

Hi Everyone

We are planning a trip up the coast from lake Ferry to Akitio and are looking for information on the route or any sections that people may have done. We aim to fairly well stick to the coast and do have some contacts in the farming community. Day 1 will be lake Ferry to Glenburn Stn, and day 2 will be Glenburn to Akitio via Castle point. Any little gems and recommendations greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Bruce

ChrisCole
    Participant

Topics Created: 4
    Replies posted: 52

I tried to ride from Cape Palliser to White rock a couple of years ago and only got as far as Ngapotiki, where there is a very substantial gate. I rode in to White rock the long way but didn’t make it along the coast, the farmer let me walk around the headland to the wrecked fishing boat but didn’t suggest I rode there. If you manage to put the route along the coast together I would really like to speak to you.
    Good luck
    Chris

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: BMW R100GS

Topics Created: 1,535
    Replies posted: 3,079

I’ve been all the way around. A ride was organised about 15 years ago and a big group went around, even back then big parts of the original track had been washed away and what remained was some fairly steep and dicey geography. There were several land owners to organise access with but I wasn’t involved with that so have no idea how it was done.

bruce_carter
    Participant

Thanks Chris
    We do have permission thru Ngapotiki and WhiteRock but have been warned that there’s a tricky bit through the DOC land. The Yamaha Tenere riders are doing a ride through late March and did a reconnaissance and had difficulty, so a bit worrying when professional riders struggle. We not too proud to get off and help each other if necessary and there is dodgey places further up the coast apparently but at least we will be expecting it. Have a lot more organising to do before mid Feb and will let you know how we get on. It will be a fantastic ride if we can pull it off, Dick, owner of Ngapotiki suggested we carry an EPIRB and I think we will definitely do that.

Cheers
    Bruce

bruce_carter
    Participant

Cheers Eddie
    Spectacular bit of the country and we going to give it a go if it all falls into place.

Bruce

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.