Comments required for new bike choice

Forums Forums General Discussion Chit Chat Comments required for new bike choice

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  marcro 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

marcro
    Participant
    • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R

Have sold my KTM 500 exc F and am thinking its time to focus on back roads (gravel), beaches and forest tracks……. as well as the obligatory tour of the South Island. I have done a bit of research an decided that its most likely a choice between the KTM 1090 adventure R or the higher spec Africa Twin. My preference is to buy new.

Does anyone have any comments………….

Thanks in advance.

MC

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

@mark-claasen I think you’ve ridden both of these recently?

Mark Claasen
    Participant
    • Bike: 1200GSA KLR650NE WR450 RMX250, DR750,

Testing both those bikes, from my prospective the KTM is heavier and has a higher centre of gravity but is also faster and more complex (TC and ABS is more sophisticated but harder to use and not on the fly like the AT)

AT 5’10 80kg I’am not tall enough or strong enough to man handle the KTM off road (harder for me than my GSA)

As a road bike awesome as long as not stopping at to many lights.

AT just easier if you are shorter or smaller

I was out with some 1190’s the other day and they were bigger guys and we were doing the dirt bike thing in the dunes and they were killing themselves once they got stuck or fell over, but that is probably over the top usage really and all still had fun.

PS if you are like Chris Birch, KTM all the way though having said that Aaron Slight rides an AT and funnily enough I have ridden with them off road so know they can both ride 🙂

marcro
    Participant

Ive done the numbers and watched plenty of reviews.
    The KTM 1090 is 207 Kgs, the AT is 228 kgs, when you look at both bikes the big difference seems to be how tall they are, as has been said, the AT suits a smaller rider ( im 6.0′ and 100kgs) where as the KTM is taller and offers a much higher riding position. It follows therefore that the centre of gravity for the AT is lower yet all the reviews, even when comparing one to the other comment that both bikes feel agile and controllable enough when being ridden of road.

I have noted one or two negative comments about the AT’s front suspension off road, a minor rebound issue.

Both bikes are more or less the same price.

Next delivery of At’s, late October
    No 1090’s left, next delivery uncertain

Im not getting any younger!!………..LOL

Tranquilo Jonny
    Participant

Am I the odd one out I am coming to NZ to have a look round for 4 months with a lot of off the tarmac, having just done Deadhorse to Ushuaia on a Tiger 800xc I reckon a smaller bike is the way forward much easier to ride and a lot more fun than a big bike especially as you are not looking at huge distances, anyone agree or am I lone voice……don’t get me wrong the KTM is a lovely bike but off road

marcro
    Participant

Thanks for your comment

The KTM is very capable off road but takes an extremely skilled rider to extract its potential off road. However you are right, open road riding in NZ is limited by its size, there are more class 3 roads than class 1.

I am at home on my 500 in the dirt and find the 107 kgs it weighs easy to deal with on single track trails and in the mud so appreciate the implications of a much heavier bike off road.

So…………I’m sitting on the fence, but I am going to have to decide soon.

MC

Badjelly
    Participant

Hi MC – can I ask why the you got rid of the 500excF? They can be road registered, right? Short service intervals? Gearing? Comfort?

Cheers

marcro
    Participant

Great enduro cross bike, very capable, very forgiving yet very quick.

Son grew up, found girls and got a drivers licence, I really only had the bike to ride with him.
    My bike was registered for the road, but never used on the road, not suited to being an adventure bike due to 10 hour service interval. So its now time to find something that suits my age and interests now.

MC

OldBeer
    Participant
    • Bike: DL650, DRZ250, CB500X

I just did a 1000 plus kms on my DRZ 250… In my opinion, small bikes are as much fun as big ones if you are riding the back roads. And less of a handful off road. You just have to accept that you will be a bit slower and will need to get off and stretch your legs a lot more. But it’s really a preference thing.

marcro
    Participant

I have thought about taking a standard DR650 and doing the appropriate mods as a bit of a project, there are lots of aftermarket parts and plenty of others have done this.

I have had DR once before, old school by today’s standards, might just suit my old school age!!

MC

Badjelly
    Participant

Thanks. I’ve a drz400. Heavier, slower and more agricultural than the KTM, but service intervals are measured in 5000km increments. :-)…. but I think I’m regressing as I’ve been looking at the new 450exc’s…

marcro
    Participant

If I was going to buy another dirt bike I would probably buy a Beta RR390. The 2018 models look very promising.

MC

Claudio
    Participant
    • Bike: Looking on the market for my next bike

I’ve recently sold my DR650, completely farkled and beefed up suspension.

The reasons I sold it were:
    I don’t like how it looks like, it was super functional, but it makes your eyes bleed.
    Braking power not enough when commuting.
    Power was just on the specs sheet, very little going on the back wheel.

It is a brilliant bike to work in your own garage and you can find parts everywhere.

The next bike for me would be a KTM 690 Enduro or KTM 990 Adv or a BMW 800 gs maybe?

marcro
    Participant

After a lot of soul searching, and the realization that most of my riding will be on tar seal gravel and forestry roads I decided the KTM 1090 would be best for me……………..

However……..none available till march next year with a small possibility of some before Christmas out of Australia.

So my next option was the 1290. Not many of these left either but I have managed to secure one out of Auckland.

Time to put the weight/power/cost/fun factor to the test.

Many thanks for the comments

MC

marcro
    Participant

New bike update, what can I say……every time i get on its an adventure. I am pleased to say that so far the bike has performed exactly as all of the reviews indicate.
    The bike inspires confidence on the tar seal and is solid on all of the gravel roads I have traveled so far.
    Single track in the dirt…….excellent, has a very low centre of balance feel when underway but you absolutely have to let the tyres down for any thing other than flat and even if you want consistent traction.

Only issue………….dealer inadvertently left the computer in transport mode, bike turned off at 150 kms, luckily I was at home. Back to a very red faced and apologetic dealer who made up for the blunder with KTM product.

Since then the computer has behaved perfectly…..long may that continue.

I will do another couple of thousand K and then will begin planning a South Island extravaganza.

MC

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.