No products in the cart.

Home Forums Riding Where to ride Contributing Tracks

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Roger Irwin 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Joao
    Keymaster
    • Bike: R1200GS

Hi,
    First of all this a great work with the site, now I would like to help.
    I’ve been marking some gravel roads especially north of Auckland and would like to share with the guys.
    Now there are a couple of things.. I don’t have a garmin so I don’t have the tracks in GPS format but I do have them in kml/kmz google earth format, which I use for research along with LINZ topo.
    Some of the roads I’ve been in myself… some of them I have not and require exploration rides ( anyone keen?)

Is there a way you could use my data so that people could help build a “list/map” of all of New Zealands gravel, open and “rideable” roads?

Cheers

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Hi Joni, I’m guessing here based on the name 🙂

To date we’ve worked on GPS tracks because maps can be notoriously unreliable, and it means someone has actually ridden the road and can vouch for where it goes, what it’s like and any dangers or incentives to ride the road and whether it’s even worth riding.

I have found/heard about a few roads that nobody has ridden yet and for each of those I’ve created a topic in this section of the site, you’re welcome to do the same. It’s possible to embed a google map in a forum topic showing where a road is.

Beyond that it’s worth considering how they could be added to the site as ‘requires further investigation’ or something. I’m open to suggestions on ways it might work.

Eddie

Joao
    Keymaster

Hi Eddie,

You guessed right 🙂

Here is my kmz file for a start.

The ones in Green I actualy have ridden myself the ones in Blue are pure research and the ones in RED are probably roads that have no exit but I will investigate.

Cheers

Joao
    Keymaster

Upload gave an security error so here is the link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzHnYuDhluFWUWU4NGdydTNoLWM/view?usp=sharing

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

You can try this site http://kml2gpx.com/ It will convert the file to gpx format in a matter of seconds and GPX can be uploaded.

What sort of phone do you have? I have an Android and have downloaded 2 apps which look like they will do GPS logging, the first is Maverick (link to Maverick on the Google Play Store), the is 2nd New Zealand Maps Free (link to New Zealand Maps Free on the Google Play Store).

NZ Maps Free caches the maps when you install the app so you don’t even need to have a phone connection when you are riding.

Hadrian Haine
    Participant
    • Bike: 08 Husaberg FE 450 and a classic 86 Honda XLR250R

Going too look into these too apps, thanks Edward.

Roger Irwin
    Participant
    • Bike: DR650

Recording your tracks is easy. I just did it on my phone with this FREE App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.atlogis.nzmaps.free

Would love it if everyone else added there favourite track as I’m always looking for new places to explore. That for me is the best part of adventure riding. We live in a country with so many amazing places.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.