fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Coromandel Tracks scouting mission

Home Forums Riding Events, get togethers and ride reports Coromandel Tracks scouting mission

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Sharn
    Participant
    • Bike: WR250R

Wanted to scout out some of the tracks I intend on doing while I’m on holiday at the end of Jan. Namely Wires Track and the Nevesille area.

Set of this arvo not thinking I’d get a lot done, but knowing I’d have a good ride anyway.

Took a bit of a side route and went over Waiti Rd to start the day, I’ve been over many times and even though its short it’s worth the detour.

Next was the monotony of crossing the Hauraki plains. Followed the Piako river for a bit to Ngatea, then across to Koupu. Made ‘good progress’ across the plains yet didn’t spontaneously implode… As I had been lead to believe happens after 100kph.

Headed staight for Nevesville Rd to see how far you can get without coming to a gate. Turns out you can get quite a way up past the end of the maintained road.

*this is where I pause and test how the images post*

Sharn
    Participant

Start of Nevesville Rd:

Once you get off the maintained Rd it becomes like this:

Some nice views:
    Nevesville rd

The unmaintained Rd is quite rough, tight and a lot of fun; next time I’ll be gearing the WRR down even more, as to slide around corners I was using 1st.

Came across a pair of dirtbikes heading down as I went up, bit of a close call as they were hammering it; had noticed the car and trailer further down the road and seen the skid marks round the corners, so I was keeping an eye out for them.

I stopped and turned around once I reached this gate, although easy to get under with the bike I thought I’d save the rest till I had some company. Was a good ride up to here anyway and well worth checking out even on bigger bikes.

Sharn
    Participant

On to Wires track to see how nasty it was… got maybe 2k’s in before I turned around due to 4wd ruts in wet clay, gave it one half hearted attempt then dragged the bike back; possibly could have made it through that part solo but I wasn’t there to get as far in as possible, just to check it out and go back with 2-3 people later in Jan.

The beginning of the track to where I got up to was the most technical stuff I’ve been in so far (not that I’ve done alot), ruts, big rocks etc, and I know it just gets worse… but still keen to head back with a riding buddy and do the main track anyway.

Sharn
    Participant

I know It’s Coromandel with an E but can’t change it now.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

@Sharn Amon said:
    I know It’s Coromandel with an E but can’t change it now.

Fixed

For a couple of the pics you pasted in the wrong url which is why they aren’t showing. I couldn’t figure out which ones they should have been from your Flickr account.

Sharn
    Participant

Thanks for the fix Ed.

Yea it was strange in that I couldn’t cut and paste the url from flicker as it also contained some html code? Managed to go back and edit out the unwanted stuff so it just showed the image, got the hang of it by the last post. All bar the 1st image were showing when I left it last night.

Dont seem to have the edit post option now so can’t see whats happened.

Did you by chance resize the width of a couple images ie. the 1st and 2nd to last in post 2? They look distorted?

Would be great if there was a preview post option to iron out the wrinkles before posting.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

The only images I looked at was the one in the first post that wasn’t and still isn’t displaying, and same with the 3rd and 6th in post 2. For all 3 of those I can see they have a different url structure than the ones that work.

The ones that aren’t working have all have https://www.flickr.com/photos/….. these ones also didn’t have any size measurements specified where all the others did.
    The ones that work all use something like https://farm9.staticflickr.com/…..

I can update them if you have the right url’s, I might change the ‘time you can edit a post after posting’ value to something longer also.

Yes it would be great to have a preview option before posting but that feature isn’t offered in the attachments plugin, and I have no idea how to code it.

Sharn
    Participant

Ah I see.
    Looking through my photos there isn’t really anything of much interest to change them to. Maybe you could just delete them to tidy it up a bit? Much appreciated.

Hadrian Haine
    Participant
    • Bike: 08 Husaberg FE 450 and a classic 86 Honda XLR250R

Wow looks like fun and mostly dry i can see wires could be hell after some rain. I have been told that nevesvile can be hooked up to other tracks and its possabile to ride off road from there throught to the back of paeroa. Weldone! this is defantaly helping germinate the seed planted by my mate about exploring the old goldie tracks up there.

Sharn
    Participant

Yea was definitely a fun day. I think there is a gold mine of tracks once in there.

Would be good to get a few guys together for a ride up there as it’s a bit remote solo I’d think. Like I said on Facebook im staying over that way 29 Jan till 3rd Feb if you want to go for a brrrap. Open to going other dates pending work.

Has your mate been on the trail that leads to Paeroa? Seems almost mythical.

Hadrian Haine
    Participant

Yes my mate and some of his friends gave ridden from Whangmata to paeroa and back, he has told me of several abandoned gold mine trail that can be linked togeather. I have been real slack and my bikes still in pieces… just and oil seal and carb retune /rejetting after porting intake manifold and headers airbox and mufler mods, but have been beasy with kid at home on holidays.

Unfortunately the weekend your planing on being up there I’ll be doing the Waerenga school trail ride. My youngests school, its a great trail ride! if any reader are keen please come along its a small school and this is our biggest annual fundraiser.

Sharn
    Participant

That does look like a cool ride just watched a youtube clip. Would go if I was around.

Hadrian Haine
    Participant

It really is a good ride and great for the schools coppers.

Sharn
    Participant

<cite>@Facebook – hadge.haine1 said:</cite>
    It really is a good ride and great for the schools coppers.

Sounds like a fairly strick school.

Hadrian Haine
    Participant

Worth noting Wires and Maratoto tracks have been closed by DOC to vehicular use due to Kauri die back desies.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.