fbpx

No products in the cart.

Home Forums Riding Where to ride County Road

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I’m always researching places to ride and this one popped up today.

Country Road is in the middle of the Karangahake Gorge where the big iron bridge crosses the river to the Karangahake Hall and starts off sealed but shortly turns into a gravel or dirt track. A local has made numerous attempts to get the road closed from where the seal ends but so far has not succeeded. The reasoning for closure was that a hill on the road was dangerously steep. As far as I can tell County Road follows the river and joins up with Te Moananui Road in the backstreets of Paeroa.

Cross the big steel bridge in the middle of Karangahake Gorge onto Crown Hill Road and when the road turns sharp right it becomes County Road.

A sign where the seal ends warns of the steep hill.

Mark Armstrong
    Participant

Eddie, I’ll go have a look but if that road ends up running by the river it is likely to go to the rail trail which is push bikes only. I’ll keep you posted but it’s sure worth a ride and thanks for the tip as I’ve never taken the right turn into County Road above the hall, only ever gone left to walk up the mountain. Or ride it on my pushie…

Mark Armstrong
    Participant

And Te Moananui Road is definitely where the rail trail comes out…but even if it’s a short road it has to be worth a look if it has a decent hill… I haven’t dropped the DR for a while 🙂

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@JasonEdward said:
    Eddie, I’ll go have a look but if that road ends up running by the river it is likely to go to the rail trail which is push bikes only. I’ll keep you posted but it’s sure worth a ride and thanks for the tip as I’ve never taken the right turn into County Road above the hall, only ever gone left to walk up the mountain. Or ride it on my pushie…

Hi Mark, did you have a look at County Road?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.