No products in the cart.

Home Forums Riding Where to ride Darkys Spur Road Hastings Nth

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Scott Livingston 2 years ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Scott Livingston
    Participant
    • Bike: 2010 DR650

When I rode this road late January all I could think to myself was “is this NZ’s most dangerous road”?

Here is how I ended up finding this jewel in the crown of Hawkes Bay back roads.

5km after heading west off SH2 on to SH5 turn right in to Waipunga Road where the first few km of riding is climbing up the range on seal but then turns to gravel.
    The views out west when climbing are stunning and so is seeing the ocean out east when you get to the top and start riding gravel.

After 20km on Waipunga Road which is pretty twisty in parts and also a little slippery after rain due to more clay than gravel in parts, turn left and head west in to Darkys Spur Road.

I almost didn’t – thinking I would turn right and head east back to the main SH2 highway but was so glad when this road starting descending and twisting around a steep cliff face.

The pics below of the one way bridge will give you some idea of what a remote single lane track this is.

After descending to the bottom you hit the seal and ride through a very small remote community – ride some lovely twisting road and then pop out on SH2 500m south of a dairy where you can grab a pie and check your map of where to head next – which could (as I did) be the back roads to Lake Waikaremoana turning off at Raupunga and heading north west via Putere.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.