fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Dear Manufacturer, please build me….

Home Forums General Discussion Chit Chat Dear Manufacturer, please build me….

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

Whats your ideal Adventure bike?

Mine has varied depending on where I was living and the style of local riding. In wellingotn for example I went through a R80G/S, R100GS PD and KTM 950 Adventure before settling on a DR650 as my favorite tracks were tighter or contained sand riding and the big bikes were just too big for that riding to be enjoyable. It could be done but it was hard work.

Now that I am in the Waikato the tracks are generally open gravel roads and the road distances traveled on a ride can be longer so a twin might be more appropriate, plus I’d like to take @Jennifer-Brodie on the back and for her to be comfortable and that just isn’t possible on a DR650. The current twin cylinder offereings are all bloated road bikes and the small bore twins like the Suzuki V-Strom 650 and the 700 Honda Transalp’s are even heavier that the BMW R1200GS or KTM 1190 Adventure. I’d like something small and light (180kgs?) and basic without all the modern electrical gizmo’s and bodywork, hell BMW managed it in 1981 with the original R80G/S, why can’t they do it now?

This is the best thing I’ve seen for a while, a KTM 950 framed DL650 V Strom with no extra stuff.

Otherwise I’m hoping the rumoured MT-07 powered adventure bike actually happens
    https://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/forums/topic/yamaha-to-release-a-new-fz-7mt-07-based-adventure-bike/

The MT-07 is a 689cc parrellel twin twin street bike which has been getting rave reviews overseas due to it’s engine characteristics, low weight and low cost. The MT-07 has just been released in NZ in the last few weeks and we are getting a slightly detuned 655cc version so that the bike is learner legal under NZ’s LAMS learner laws.

Attachments:
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.