fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

DR 650 exhausts, new bling!

Home Forums Bikes Suzuki DR 650 exhausts, new bling!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

There’s lots of exhaust options for the DR650, and many of them include exhausts from Suzuki’s other models.

I’ve been running a Suzuki 02FAA exhaust from a TL1000 on my DR, but I just scored a X35F0X exhaust from a GSXR600 off Trade Me for the princely sum of $23.50 plus postage!

The oval TL1000 exhaust has 32mm outlet whereas the GSXR600 pipe is 40mm, the gsxr pipe is also about 10cm shorter. They both use the Suzuki 4 bolt pattern to connect to a midpipe so I can unbolt one and bolt up the other.

More air in and more air out = more power! so it will be interesting to see what this does. I suspect my bike is running slighty rich already so rejetting may not be required.

When you are doing things on your bike in the garage, make sure it’s secure!

Attachments:
    Box.a.Bits
    Participant
    • Town/City: Wellington
    • Bike: BMW R80 G/S, R100GS & M72 Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200

What’s the GSX600 pipe like width & weight wise? Did the 600 have left & right pipes, or just a right one?

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I’ll do some measurements and comparisons when I change them over. It feels fairly light but isn’t the much coveted GSXR1000K1 Titanium pipe. The GSXR 600 of that year only had a right side pipe.

Box.a.Bits
    Participant
    • Town/City: Wellington
    • Bike: BMW R80 G/S, R100GS & M72 Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200

I happen to have a titanium pipe, which may take a load of work to fit to Gus. It’s fat (width wise)…My understanding is that there were 2 versions. I got the bigger one.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

X35F0X exhaust from a GSXR600

Length: mating surface to end of pipe body 450mm
    Diameter: 118mm
    Weight: 2.75 kg
    40mm outlet

Eddieb
    Keymaster

02FAA exhaust from a TL1000

Length: mating surface to end of pipe body 525mm
    Oval height: 129mm
    Oval Width: 112mm
    Weight: more than the 2.75 kg of the GSXR600 pipe. Unfortunately it was heavier than the 3kg max the kitchen scales went to, but not heavy enough to register on the bathroom scales. It felt noticably heavier though.
    32mm outlet

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I got the new pipe fitted up today, I had to grind the original hanger off with the grinder, not my best work but after running some sandpaper over it there’s no sharp edges.

Russell Bowden also popped in today and we swapped IMS gas tanks, my white tank for his blue tank. I think both bikes look better for it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.