fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

DR650 14 tooth front sprocket review

Home Forums Bikes Suzuki DR650 14 tooth front sprocket review

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Scott Livingston
    Participant
    • Bike: 2010 DR650

Hi there. I’ve just changed the factory standard 15 tooth front sprocket on my 2010 DR650SE ($25 from Holeshot Suzuki) to a 14 tooth and thought others maybe interested to hear what difference this makes – the good and bad.
    Having only owned the bike for three months and because I do a lot of city traffic riding during the week and then rural sealed or unsealed road riding in the weekend I’ve always felt it was a bit highly geared (except when riding along the Waipu straights in Northland cruising at 110kph).
    The higher gearing was also causing me to ride a bit faster that normal and what I’m comfortable with when lane straddling through Auckland’s motorway traffic. Second gear seemed a bit low and third gear a bit tall.
    The good news is the 14T now means I can sit in 3rd at 45 to 50kph comfortably without labouring the motor. She is also a bit quicker off the mark not needing so many revs or as careful clutch release.
    The gearing also felt better through the rural windy stuff I rode in the weekend.
    The only downside is that she is now most comfortable cruising in the 95 to 105kph rev range rather than 110kph+ when out on the open road or motorway.
    This is not altogether a bad thing as it will help avoid speed tickets and you’ll have more time to admire the scenery.
    Hope this is helpful.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

Best bang for buck mod you can do to a motorcycle I reckon.

On my DR650 I changed the rear to a 43, from 41 stock, so I am running 15/43. 15/44 would be about equivalent to your 14/41.

It pays off in the rough stuff to for all the same reasons, you can do more manageable speeds over rough terrain.

Scott Livingston
    Participant

Am I right in guessing that 15/44 is a fraction taller in gearing than 14/41? If so, then I have to admit this may be the better compromise (option) offering more control off road but still comfortable and economical open road cruising.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Check out http://www.gearingcommander.com/

It will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about changing your bikes gearing.

Scott Livingston
    Participant

Thanks very much Edward.
    The website you provided did not like my Google Chrome browser so I found the answer at:

http://www.sprocketcalculator.com/

Changing from the factory 15T/41T combo to 14T/41T reduces speed -6.7% where as 15T/43T only reduces speed -4.7%.

I reckon the latter and your option would be the best option.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I hadn’t seen http://www.sprocketcalculator.com/ before.

If you have another browser I’d still recommend gearing commander as it provides heaps more info. You can enter up to 3 setups at once like stock, mine and yours and compare things like rev changes per gear and speed, speed at particular revs per gear per setup, chain wear, whether extra chain links are required, plus you can edit other variables like tyre circumference and it supports a lot more bikes.

I have a 14 tooth sprocket in the garage too, I’ve always been curious as to whether 14/43 would turn it into a wheelstanding beast.

badblackbuell
    Participant

I’m running 15/43 and have found it to be perfect for all round use. Heaps less chain slap and far smoother. It must be a lot nicer on the engine. I always thought these things to be overgeared from factory.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.