fbpx

No products in the cart.

Home Forums General Discussion Buy and Sell DR650. Aftermarket muffler and jets

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Tyre kicker
    Participant

Hi all , firstly totally new to this game of forums so here I go. I just bought myself an o12 dr650.[ with low k’s ] After a very long ride home after purchasing it I have realised its strangled by its own muffler. Which I think is also contributing to its poor fuel consumption figures. Tried both 91 and 95 fuel , found its got more power on 95 . Not surprising ! Anyway , its time to open up its breathing so am after a freeflow muffler and a rejetting kit. Any ideas of where to find these items greatly appreciated. Muffler new is $650 [ cycleworks ]. Jet kit unsure of $. I’m not wanting to break the bank any more.
    Apart from being a strangled fart in std form its actually a real neat bike , nice and light , nimble etc and caveman basic which to me is the best part about it. Bugger all to go wrong or wreck. There is a lot to be said for carbs and air cooled motors.
    Any ideas ? ……..

Eddieb
    Keymaster

It’s not just the exhaust that strangles it, the intake is bad also.

There is a snorkel on top of the airbox, it’s a press in fit so can be removed and re-installed without wrecking anything, though it can be a bit of a bugger to get in again. As an experiment you can pull that out and on most bikes feel a noticeable difference.

Beware, danger lies ahead, once you start there’s almost no limit to what you can do to a DR.

You can potentially go a lot cheaper than cycleworks using exhausts from other Suzuki models and a different mid pipe to match them up to the header. Check out https://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/forums/topic/eddies-adventures-dr650-build/page/3/#post-10992

Whatever you do, dont go near procycle.us with a credit card.

Tyre kicker
    Participant

Thanks eddieb man. I will take those things into consideration. Firstly will rip out that snorkel thing and see what happens. Just wondering how much water ends up on the air filter if it gets a good drowning in rain or giving it a wash ! Assuming the snorkel is there to stop that from happening. Anyway, its getting the flick. I’m not scared of making modifications to things as I’ve owned countless bikes and machinery in the past and always changed things around to suit myself. Do they run a forked rocker off one lobb for the valves where you just adjust each valve individually ? Anyone ever had stuff happen with running two sparkplugs , was wondering if they fire at the same time or whether one is ahead of the other . Also is that weld inside the header quite restrictive ? Sounds like I might have to give it the hell grind ! Who does touring screens for these things ? Wouldnt mind one that looks semi okay. Any advise taken onboard.

OldBeer
    Participant

Hi Lance
    Messaging doesn’t seem to be working at the moment….
    Can you measure the OD of the header pipe where it joins the muffler for me please?
    Cheers

Tyre kicker
    Participant

Hi oldbeer. Pipe OD at actual end of header is 45 mm. This is the size of the expanded bit that the muffler fits into. That is what you asked for ! …Lance.

OldBeer
    Participant

Hi Lance, thanks! Looks like I have found a drz250 muffler at a wreckers so will go with that. Good luck with your bike. Pictures are always welcome!

Cheers
    Richard

Brainflex
    Participant
    • Bike: CT110, Husky TE 250, DRZ250, CB500X

Hey Old Beer, if you want it, I have a DR650 rear muffler you can have.

Tyre kicker
    Participant

Hi old beer. No worries . How the hell do you put pictures on this thing. I have no idea.

OldBeer
    Participant

Too late @Brainflex i paid the man the monies yesterday. But thanks anyway.

Tyre Kicker im no expert but ill send you a pm.

OldBeer
    Participant

or I can do it here…..

This all assumes you are trying to do this from a microsoft windows pc…

At the bottom of the page below the “Reply to…” box you should see a grey button which says “Choose File”. You should see next to that the words “No file chosen” and beneath it “Add Another File”

Click on the grey button that says “Choose file”
    A screen will open on your PC screen (will be slightly different if you are doing it on a phone or Ipad). You need to find the photo you want to put on the site and select it (ONE left click with the mouse).
    Then click “open” at the bottom right. The screen will disappear and you should see the name of the file you selected appear next to the Choose file button. If it happens to have a long file name it will be abbreviated.

You can then repeat the process until you have uploaded all your photos.

When you are done, click the green “SUBMIT” bottom at the bottom right of the page.

Ipads and phones are variations on this but essentially the same process. If you know how to navigate the storage in your phone or ipad then you should be able to work it out.

Inserting the picture in the text in the right place is possible but its easiest to just attach them, they then appear as thumbnails after your text.

Like so

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.