fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

DR650 starting issues, poor to no spark, help me fault find

Home Forums Bikes Suzuki DR650 starting issues, poor to no spark, help me fault find

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

So our Yellow DR650 recently decided to not start, and consistently not start. Investigations have traced it to a spark problem, when turning the bike over with a plug removed and earthed on the frame the spark varies from extremely weak to none at all. As part of the fault finding I have installed new plugs and caps but that has made no difference.

I’ve now dug the service manual out, well virtually anyway as it’s a pdf on the computer, and I’m working through the tests in the Ignition system troubleshooting section.

As I go through the tests I’ll post the results here and hopefully people can help me figure out whats going on.

It’s intended to sell this bike once it’s fixed as it is excess to requirements.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Inspect the battery voltage between input lead wires (O/W and B/W) at the CDI unit with the ignition switch “ON” position.

Readings started at about 12.1 volts, before dropping about .01 volt/s to stabilise at 11.96 volts.

I thought batteries were supposed to read higher than that, could that be my issue right there?

Feral Matt
    Participant

Nah doubt it. Even with a crappy battery (11.96v ain’t that crappy) it should still be firing. I’d say its a pickup issue, or failed CDI from a cooked reg/rect (90VAC killing RR’s is a common Honda issue for me). Have a squiz thru this: http://www.dansmc.com/cdiignition.htm

Box.a.Bits
    Participant
    • Town/City: Wellington
    • Bike: BMW R80 G/S, R100GS & M72 Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200

Yes, the battery is likely some or all of it. Has it been charged up? If its sitting at that voltage after a charge, then its replacement time. Some electronic ignitions are sensitive to voltage.

Easy enough to swap out the battery from the blue bike & to try it out.

Box.a.Bits
    Participant
    • Town/City: Wellington
    • Bike: BMW R80 G/S, R100GS & M72 Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200

Fixed it yet?

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Nope, been in Auckland for the weekend. Hoping to look at more tonight.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Disconnect the lead wire coupler from the CDI unit. Measure each coil resistance between the lead wires. If the resistance is infinity or less than the specifications the power source coil and pick up coil must be replaced.

Suzuki pocket tester
    Power source coil resistance .01-.02ohms (Black-white wires)
    Tester knob indication x 1ohm range

Pickup coil resistance 170-256ohms (Blue-Green wires)
    Tester knob indication x 100ohm range

So I have a pretty standard Dick Smith multi meter that doesn’t do 1ohm or 100 ohm range, the lowest is 200, then 2k, plus I don’t really know what I am doing.

On the 200 setting the meter just beeped at me continously. On the 2k setting
    I got the readings below

Power source coil resistance .01-.02ohms (Black-white wires) – reading 0.001

Pickup coil resistance 170-256ohms (Blue-Green wires) – reading .208

Also recommended to me via IM was

take the plug cap off the ht lead. Hold the ht lead 6mm from head and turn the bike over, the spark should jump this gap easy. If you have to take gap down to 2-3mm there is a problem.

I tried this and couldn’t get a spark even when holding the ht lead against the head.

David Butler
    Participant

Eddie, a fully charged battery should read about 12.6V or more. However a battery can charge up and look good until it it is put under load. Suggest you measure the batt with the front light on, if the voltage drops significantly, say 2 volts, then you probably have a bad cell inside. Ditch it!
    cheers
    Dave B

David Butler
    Participant

Me again, if its a digital meter then those resistance values could be OK. The .208 could indicate 208 ohms,ie .208 x 1Kohm. and the other is bloody low but not too low. There is a huge step up in the coil so the input side has very few coils so low resistance and fairly high current.
    ps I am interested in looking at the bike as soon as you are ready to sell. I live in Tauranga so happy to zip across anytime.
    cheers
    Dave B

Eddieb
    Keymaster

David Butler said:
    Eddie, a fully charged battery should read about 12.6V or more. However a battery can charge up and look good until it it is put under load. Suggest you measure the batt with the front light on, if the voltage drops significantly, say 2 volts, then you probably have a bad cell inside. Ditch it!
    cheers
    Dave B

Those readings above were done through the CDI input wires.

Testing straight off the battery I get 12.59v with the ignition off and 12.16v with the ignition on and the headlight going.

David Butler
    Participant

Batt looks OK to me then. Reading through stuff on line and the link from Matt Kerr I’d be looking at the pickup coil for gap to rotor magnet and possible looseness. And try and get a meter that can give an accurate measurement of the coil resistances.

I’m getting close to taking it to the shop. I need to shift it for room to work on some projects. We’ve only got a single garage and at the moment it’s got 2 DR650’s, a DR250, Beta Techno 250, Ducati Mark 3 250, a sidecar and a mono wheel trailer in it, plus the dryer, several push bikes and associated garage crap.

Dean Saunders
    Participant

welcome to chuck it in my shed short term if ya like mate

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Thanks Deano, I really just need to shift it as the money would be handy too but with other stuff going on it’s been a bit difficult to get on to it.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Yesterday the part arrived that I believe will fix the bike, now to get enough time to fit it.

Eddie

Eddieb
    Keymaster

The yellow bike left over the weekend. I had sourced the part to fix the bike but with lots of other life stuff going on hadn’t been able to install it. Over the weekend the bike was loaded onto a ute and went to a new life back in the Wellington/Kapiti region.

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.