No products in the cart.

Home Forums Bikes Non ADV bikes & other vehicles Eddieb’s Narrow case Ducati 250

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Eddieb 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

A few years ago I acquired a narrow case Ducati of dubious heritage.
    Sometime in it’s past it was painted British Racing Green, given a BSA Bantam tank, an unknown seat and a hand rolled front guard.

I have the English rego papers from when it was last registered and according to those it is a 1972 Ducati 350 Mark 3, however being a narrow case model it must have been manufactured between 1962 and 1968. Also parts of the wiring loom are made of housing wire and all the wires are the same colour, joined to the original loom with chocolate block connectors

As it sits today I have sourced a Ducati Scrambler tank for it which isn’t correct as it’s smaller than the original tank but the original tanks go for silly money.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Team Buffoon has a similiar model bike and about 6 months ago he asked to take some pics of the footpeg mounts, and being the slack bastard I am I’ve only just got to it. In my defence it is stored in someone elses’s garage surrounded by stacks of furniture.

Left Side, the bolt is loose on this footpeg so it’s hanging down, the footpeg actually sits up when it’s in the proper position.

Left Side

Right Side

Right Side

Wingman
    Participant
    • Bike: Ducati Multistrada 620 Nudo, Husqvarna SM610 Supermoto

I hold you completely responsible for my wife’s reaction to another bike and the hours Im just about to spend on the net combing the planet for one of these to fill a spot in my garage.. you know where to find me if you ever want to part with yours πŸ™‚
    What a cool project, a friend built one of the 350cc’s into a track bike back when I worked with him at a motorcycle dealership and I always had a soft spot for them..
    Im thinking more “cafe racer” myself so I dont want a minter donor bike. I want to go with a clean and minimalist approach to this little Italian thumper, something like this one:

http://www.returnofthecaferacers.com/2016/02/york-st-moto-ducati-350-widecase.html#more

Eddieb
    Keymaster

That ones a widecase, so post 1972. The easiest way to tell visually is that loop in the rear frame.

I must get onto mine, I have a new loom and various other bits for it and it recently got it’s own workshop stand, but among other things keeping this site going has been taking up far more time that it should recently.

Wingman
    Participant

Yea its a 74, the first of the Desmodromic engines.. my personal pick of the early Ducati singles..
    Yours looks like a 64-65 250cc Diana judging by the forks and other smaller details.. If you look closely at some of the front forks and break parts you should find a casting date on some of the bits.. normally it will tell you within a year or two of its released date. also check the rims for a manufacturers name.. certain rims were only fitted to certain years.
    Id love to check yours out some time.. or better yet own it :).. Wana trade for a Husky or a multistrada? πŸ™‚

Eddieb
    Keymaster

The details of my Ducati don’t add up and I’m not certain what I really have. The paperwork says it’s a 1972 350cc Mark3, however the frame design dictates it can’t have been built after 1967 and it’s a 250cc.

The bike came with a BSA Bantam tank and a seat of unknown origin and is missing sidecovers, all items that could have helped indicate or at least narrow down what model it was. It also has a non standard front guard. A rev counter is fitted which was only a factory item on a few sportier models but given that the bike is ~50 years old this year and has a number of non stock items fitted I can’t say with certainty whether that was fitted by the factory or an owner.

The engine has a number but whether this engine is original or not I don’t know. Given that the UK year of registration does not reflect the year of manufacture do I trust the cc rating on the paperwork or what’s in the bike?

DM250M3 stands for Ducati 250 Mark3
    The serial number of 100203 indicates the motor was manufactured in 1966 or 1967.
    (Reference the Book of Ducati Overhead Camshaft Singles by Ian Falloon, Page 126 & 130.)

Another place to find manufacture information on a classic Ducati single is to remove the front wheel. On the left fork is a locator tab for the front brakes and on that tab is stamped a manufacture date. I pulled the front wheel off tonight and found the below, which indicates a manufacture date of September 1966.

So the dates for the forks and the engine match up, and the engine model of Mark3 matches the UK registration papers, but the engine capacity doesn’t.
    Also, the narrow case Mark3 was fitted with a rev counter from the factory!
    (Reference the Book of Ducati Overhead Camshaft Singles by Ian Falloon Page 125.)

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@airborne_arms_co said:
    also check the rims for a manufacturers name.. certain rims were only fitted to certain years.
    Id love to check yours out some time.. or better yet own it :).. Wana trade for a Husky or a multistrada? πŸ™‚

I haven’t gone over the wheels yet.
    You’re welcome to come and have a look. I’d love to have your Strada but I wouldn’t swap this for it πŸ™‚

Eddieb
    Keymaster

So if it really is a Mark3 as things indicate it would have originally looked like this.

So should I make it look stock again which would require the correct seat and side toolboxes, or do something like this scrambler which also requires a seat, a taller set of handlebars and different/cut down guards.

Wingman
    Participant

Personally Id go custom cafe racer as yours is to far from original anyway but I like the look of the Scramblers better than the MK3 road machines..
    Unfortunately Scramblers have always come with the persona of hipsters and men that prefer the company of other men so I could never bring myself to riding one. πŸ™‚
    Have you had yours running?

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Hmm, the shock mounts are in the same position so the shocks must be longer, presumably the forks are longer as well. I like the lines of the pipe and the higher bars.

The tank I have now is that scrambler tank.

I tracked down the frame number location tonight, depending on the model and market Ducati singles could have the frame number engraved on the headstock, on the center downtube near the battery, or on a sticker on the headstock which after 50 years is likely gone.

For my bike a number was on the center downtube – DM 03990, however there doesn’t seem to be any definitive data around frame numbers and models or years for Ducati singles.

Wingman
    Participant

Yea they are a little taller looking.. does yours run?

heres a pretty one

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I have had mine running but not for 6 or 7 years.

Wingman
    Participant

<cite>@eddieb said:</cite>
    I have had mine running but not for 6 or 7 years.

Sounds like the “7 year itch” to me.. Ill be happy to take it off your hands πŸ™‚

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Nope. I’m just getting the motivation to get started on it.

@team-buffoon has a one also. Dunno what he is doing with his.

I like cafe racers but prefer the street scrambler style, like this new Husky coming next year. Also I prefer the higher handlebar stance when riding.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I’ve split discussion about Team Buffoon’s classic duk’s into it’s own thread https://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/forums/topic/team-buffoons-classic-ducatis/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.