Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Eddie’s adventures and DR650 build thread

Home Forums Bikes Suzuki Eddie’s adventures and DR650 build thread

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 155 total)
  • Author
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: BMW R100GS, Ducati Mark 3 250 narrow case

My DR brings all the boys to the yard

Attachments:
    Eddieb
    Keymaster

The Rego for the mighty DR has been put on hold ready for storage 🙁 due to new adventures that are about to begin.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

The DR has been packed away as I’ve headed off for a new Adventure for a while.

Follow what I’ve up to over here: https://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/forums/topic/eddies-overseas-adventure/

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Well I’m back in NZ and currently 4 days into voluntary isolation after returning from the UK via Singapore.

I started prepping the DR650 for use after a year in storage and the battery still had full charge which was great, but the front tyre is flat and when I parked it up it was 500km overdue for a oil change. I have a filter but can’t get out for the oil and a tyre valve.

Anyone got a hookup for IT/web jobs in Tauranga? Due to illness I can’t do physical work but worked on data management for the spark.co.nz website and related middleware for many years along with a bit of external vendor delivery management.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

The DR is slowly being bought out of storage. Last week I pulled the carb and gave it a good cleanout as it had some residue which was stopping the float valve from closing, today I did the valve clearances.

Stuff your bucket and shims, this is how valve adjustment should be.

The plugs were a little black, I suspect it’s a little rich at low throttle openings.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I fitted an Anderson Plug to the DR today so that if the battery is too low to start the bike I can attach a charger to it without taking the side panels and seat off.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Well the Covid Lockdown level switches to level 2 on Thursday so I rego’d the DR today and it’s otherwise all ready to go.

WOOHOO!!!!!!

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Woohoo!, first ride in 15 months. No gravel involved but it was so good to be back on a bike. About 190km around the Waikato. One of my favorite rides out of Hamilton is Whitemans Valley road, at the end of that turn right then take the first left, repeat that another 3 times and eventually you come out onto SH27 just South of Matamata.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Today was too nice a day not to go for a ride.

I think this was on Maungatautari Road

Lunch at Jones Landing.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

There’s not been too many adventures recently as life has been busy in other ways. This should be about to change however.

We’ve just moved from Hamilton to Tauranga so a new area to explore.

For Christmas the mighty DR has got fresh legs with less springy springy bits.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

The bike is back together and I’m now trying to set the rear shock sag.

To start you need to know the amount of wheel travel your shock allows as recommended rider sag is measured as percentage of your total available wheel travel.

Suzuki quote the DR650 as having 10.2 inches of wheel travel, however Procycle.us did some actual measurements and recorded it at 9 inches.
    In metric that’s a quoted 259mm but a real 228mm, so like a lot of things in life it’s not as long as you think it is.

I am running my shock in the DR650 factory lowered setting due to the massively tall seat I have and Procycle estimate that in that configuration the shock would have about 8″/203mm of rear wheel travel.

Following the process in this article we linked to ages ago we need to know 3 measurements, the distance between the same 2 chosen points on the bike when the rear suspension is unweighted, static, and with the rider on board.

Unweighted is with the bike on a lift with the rear wheel off the ground
    Static sag is the bike standing upright on it’s wheels but with no other weight on it
    Rider sag is with the the rider sitting and/or standing on the bike in normal riding gear and with whatever other weight you would normally have on the bike, e.g. luggage, pillion etc.

For my measurements I chose from the top of the rear axle to a mark on my side panel directly above the rear axle and I got:

Unweighted 531mm
    Static sag 501mm
    Rider Sag 445mm

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Just had to change the front tyre again. The TKC-80 I fitted at 41958km had worn oddly due to loosing a bit of pressure on a ride. Replacement this time is a Shinko SR244, mainly due to budget constraints. It seems pretty good for $100 fitted and balanced.

Mileage now is 52437 so this TKC had done 10,579km and would otherwise have had a fair bit of life in it yet. It’s the 2nd one in a row I’ve had this issue with. In some places the worn knobs were down to the carcass.

Daniel Fisher
    Participant
    • Town/City: Nor-West AKL
    • Bike: DRZ400E

It’s a shame the TKC80 has a directional arrow on a tyre that tread seems a mirror image front to back. It Would then be a simple case of flipping it when it starts ski ramping or when you replace a rear to get more life out of it, like you would an MT21 for example.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@Daniel_Fisher said:
    It’s a shame the TKC80 has a directional arrow on a tyre that tread seems a mirror image front to back. It Would then be a simple case of flipping it when it starts ski ramping or when you replace a rear to get more life out of it, like you would an MT21 for example.

Yeah, I didn’t want to risk it even though they seem like they would be reversible.

Unfortunately the DR is back in the shed for the time being as the rego has expired and as I’m out of work I can’t renew it.

Daniel Fisher
    Participant
    • Town/City: Nor-West AKL
    • Bike: DRZ400E

<cite> @Eddieb said:</cite>
    Unfortunately the DR is back in the shed for the time being as the rego has expired and as I’m out of work I can’t renew it.

That’s a shame mate. I can empathise with you about the feeling of not being able to ride. In between dealing/waiting with the broker, insurer, assessor, repairer and now backorder parts and overseas shipping it’s over 4 months and counting with no adventure riding. If I could go back, I would have just fixed it myself when I was able enough to do so. Makes one weigh up the benefits of full insurance I tell ya!

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 155 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.