No products in the cart.

Home Forums Bikes Suzuki Eddie’s adventures and DR650 build thread

This topic contains 129 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Eddieb 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 130 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

The E-07 rear I fitted on December 18 2016 came off on December 16 2017. Fitted at 31322km’s it came off at 41958km so had done 10,636kms and I reckon it probably had another 1000 in it. Oddly enough the brake pads I fitted at that time also needed replacing. The front TKC80 was also replaced, the tube has developed a flat on the previous ride and had worn badly while under inflated so didn’t have much usable depth left in it and the tube needed replacing.

A ride was in order to run the new tyres in so I headed off in a vaguely easterly direction.

Mount Te Aroha was shrouded in cloud, even though it was hot and dry where I was

I love country churches even though I’m not religious. I just like the buildings. This one is in Walton.

I kept heading East and ended up at Mount Maunganui for lunch. Even though it was fine in the Waikato and Tauranga I got rained on going past McClaren Falls.

Seeing as this was about an easterly as I could go it was time to head back West, with a stop at the Bike Shed at Okoroire Tavern.

There were a couple of nice modern classics there that you don’t see so often nowdays.

Gassing up back in Hamilton this GT750 pulled up, I know it’s not an adventure bike either but I have a thing about them having couriered on one in London in the 09’s, and they are very uncommon in NZ.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Work was stressing me out so on Wednesday night I took off for a random ride, starting with Mystery Creek and taking random roads from there.

Eventually I came out near Arapuni, I love the South Waikato countryside

and had a quick noisy at Jones Landing

From there it was back up Horahora Road and back to Hamilton, about 150km’s all up.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

On Saturday I jumped on the bike and headed down to the ‘Naki for a look round and do a couple of roads I hadn’t done before.

I had posted on the Taranaki rides thread that I was heading down and and @gerhard_nieuwoudt replied that he was keen on joining me for the day so we met up in Mokau.

First up was Kiwi Road
    I only stopped for one photo on Kiwi Road but it’s pretty narrow with steep drop offs on one side. While it had a few lumps and bumps it was a lot smoother than I had expected from seeing other peoples photo’s, maybe it’s been cleaned up a bit.

Followed by Moki Road

The loop is nicely finished up with Kaka Road. I didn’t take any pics of the road itself but did of this truck graveyard.

From Moki Road we rode down to Stratford where we went our separate ways, I headed down to Manaia to stay at a friends place.

Sunday morning I took the coast road up to New Plymouth, it was seriously windy and I had a few scary moments being blown around.

From New Plymouth it was up the main road to Awakino where I veered off onto Taumatamaire Road which I really enjoy due to it’s great views and diverse landscape.

From there it was back up the road to Hamilton. Not a full on trip but I was happy to be able to get out for 2 days given my recent health.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

On Saturday I had some business to take care of in Manukau so took the bike up there. From Manukau it’s not far to Beachlands and Maratei, a section of coast I had never been too before.

It turns out it’s a great ride, not fast as there’s lots of traffic but some great scenery.

At Clevedon I jumped onto the East Coast Road, while this road has had roadworks on it for quite a while damage from the recent rain and floods is clearly visible. Lunch at the Kaia filled me up then it was back on the road to Hamilton.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I was at Boyds Motorcycles this morning and ran into Steve from the UK who is most of the way through a NZ trip. He came over for the 2017 KTM Adventure Rally andhas been touring around since.

@jonibarteam he is heading to Akl today and was going to hit you up tomorrow I think to see if you wanted to head out somewhere.

Attachments:

Joao
    Keymaster
    • Bike: R1200GS

yes, It was really cool to meet Steve at the KTM Rally.
    He did tell me that he would ring me when he was back in NZ. Hopefully I will get to ride with him.
    Just for fun, I found Steve again the other day while watching a video from MADTV.

Steve is a great guy.

Looking forward to seeing him again.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Got out for a for a great ride yesterday, 350 km’s in total starting in Hamilton.

First stop was Otorohanga, they get their kids started early there but I’m not sure of their choice of machinery.

Otewa Road is straight over the bridge on the South side of Otorohanga and eventually turns into Waimahora Road. A little way along Waimahora Road is a sign for ‘River Access’ which gives access to a large paddock alongside a wide stream. It would make a great lunch spot or practice spot on uneven ground for a new rider.

Owawenga Road runs off Waimahora Road and was in great condition

Once you get past the first gate the track narrows.

The side track to the hut is a lot rougher than the main track

This was deeper than it looked, almost up to the footpegs.

I found some other cool roads too.

It was so hot out the glue melted off my boot.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Saturday 17th Was the Shiny Side Up motorcycle event in Hamilton so I wandered along to that for a look.

@James-NZed was there doing a Gymkhana display.

I also saw @aaron_martin getting his Africa Twin suspension set up by Dave Moss.

There wasn’t any adventure specific stuff there but this Aprilia Caponord was in the bike park. They’re a big machine and not common in NZ but supposedly are very good.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Sunday was a random ride that didn’t end up with any gravel involved but was still fun nonetheless. Scotsman Valley Road, Kiwitahi Station Road, Hutchinson Road and Henry Watson Road make for a good twisty ride.

From there I wound up towards Te Aroha with a quick stop at Wairere Falls to see if it was easily walkable in bike gear. It’s not but you can see the Falls from the carpark and they look pretty impressive.

After Wairere Falls I shot up to Paeroa as the Annual Battle Of The Streets races were on. I didn’t go into the racing but wandered around the bikepark leaving Adventure Riding NZ cards on all the adventure bikes to promote the site.

There weren’t any unique or special adventure bikes in the bike park but there were a couple of other interesting bikes

Honda RC45

Yamaha YZF SP

BMW Airhead RT Sidecar

BMW Airhead Scrambler

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Today I joined a bunch of Mercury Energy staff for a ride around the power generating dams of the Waikato. the bikes covered the spectrum of types from my DR650 to a Ducati Panagale, a big bore Harley and a metric cruiser, @jouni_karppinen on his Triumph Scrambler, a BMW 1200RS and my father in law on a CX500.

The group

Walking across a swing bridge at Arapuni

Lunch was at the Bus Stop Cafe on the waters edge at Maungakino

@jouni_karppinen should have bought a suzuki 😉

Jouni Karppinen
    Participant

<cite>@eddieb said:</cite>
    Today I joined a bunch of Mercury Energy staff for a ride around the power generating dams of the Waikato. the bikes covered the spectrum of types from my DR650 to a Ducati Panagale, a big bore Harley and a metric cruiser, @jouni_karppinen on his Triumph Scrambler, a BMW 1200RS and my father in law on a CX500.

@jouni_karppinen should have bought a suzuki 😉

Maybe I should ask insurance company to give me an additional discount for this new anti-theft feature.

Instructions for other Scrambler owners to enable this neat feature:
    1. Go to Thompsons track
    2. Land the bike on its’ belly, preferably several times, to make necessary adjustments on side stand kill switch
    3. (Optional) fall down few times too just to impress rest of your team members
    Now you have hard-to-nick Scrambler, just remembered to switch the side stand switch manually before taking off.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

A Family portrait

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@michael-eastwood If I’d known you had this on your DR I would have bought it off you before you traded it.

Attachments:

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Had a great weekend away at the Farewell Summer/Fuck the Black Dog overnighter but that trip totally shagged the chain so it’s time to give the mighty DR a big birthday again.

I started working on the DR on Saturday, pulled the tank and gave the carb a quick clean and pulled the plugs for a look. That was all I was good for and I spent Sunday in bed and only just made it through work today. Somedays I can do a bit and some days the smallest effort can wipe me out for days.

The plugs didn’t look too bad but the gaps definately need checking. Also when I the plug cap off the inner plug there was virutally no resistance, it seems the cap needs a bit of tightening where it clamps onto the plug.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

The DR is still in bits. I hadn’t had both the time and energy till this weekend to get a bit further on till today where I got the forks off.

The bike is getting a pretty big birthday, Oil, filter, Chain, Sprockets, plus I’m draining the 15w oil out of the forks and going back to 10w. 15w is too harsh.
    While I’m there I’ll also try and straighten the bar alignment, they are only a little out but its on the left side which is my short arm.

Seeing as the big outback Australia trip I was building the bike up for is never going to happen due to my chronic illness I’ve been toying with the idea of selling the big Safari tank, though I haven’t fully made my mind up yet.
    If I do I’d want to do a trade for a 18/25 litre IMS or Acerbis plus some cash. The safari has done the Trans America Trail and has a few scars but is sound and takes about 35 litres now.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 130 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.