No products in the cart.

Home Forums Bikes Suzuki Eddie’s adventures and DR650 build thread

This topic contains 129 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Eddieb 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 121 through 130 (of 130 total)
  • Author

MarkH
    Participant
    • Bike: Honda CRF1000LD

<cite>@eddieb said:</cite>
    @michael-eastwood If I’d known you had this on your DR I would have bought it off you before you traded it.

Oh look, that’s my old bike. Yeah, that AE Motorsports dash is really handy, I’ve had to set up something like that on my CRF1000 so that I can charge stuff as I like.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Oh, I thought that was @michael-eastwood‘s old bike but I should be abusing you instead @markh.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

The bike is finally back together and ready for business.

So at 45,000km it’s had new fork oil, new MOTUL engine oil and filter and new chain and sprockets.

My DR is a great machine all set up to go anywhere but my health means I can’t use it for what its been built for. I’ll keep riding it but if someone wanted to swap a high mileage Super Tenere for the DR I’d be keen. Something more road orientated would suit the riding I am restricted to now, and I want to go back to a shaft drive.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Took the DR out for a short ride on Sunday, only did about 50km around some local back roads but the change in front fork behavior was noticable.

I had previously changed the fork oil to 15W to see how that performed and that’s definately too hard and makes the ride really harsh, particularly over small bumps. The 10w oil is a huge improvement.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Out for a ride today and saw the giant cow in Morrinsville.

Just up the road is the Tatua Diary Factory with it’s giant can of Diary Whip.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Life’s been quiet of late but I did get down to the 2018 Cold Kiwi Rally this weekend

Eddieb
    Keymaster

So I took the DR over Old Mountain Road last weekend and on the way the External Idle Mixture adjustment screw rattled out of the bottom of the FCR-39 and landed underneath the starter motor so the bike wouldn’t idle and was backfiring badly on deceleration.

I had some energy today so stripped a lot of the bike down to retrieve the lost mixture screw. The starter motor had started to squeal as DR starters tend to do so the exhaust was removed to get the starter out which then got opened up and cleaned out and regreased, while the mixture screw was retrieved along with a pile of small stones.
    The mixture screw spring had disappeared so it’s lucky I ordered a new one a few days ago.

Next up was a carb rejet as the last change I made was as step backwards so the main jet went back to a 150. I also pulled and blew out the idle jet.

@michael-eastwood rode my DR a few weeks back and thought the steering was heavy and that possibly the top steering stem nut was a bit tight. Removing the handle bars to get to it and testing with a torque wrench showed it was set to 60NM, which is what the book says. I undid the nut and retightened it to 40NM anyway to see what it feels like.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I’ve thought for a while that there should be public access from around Tokoroa through to Mamaku area as the area is riddled with roads on the map, much of the area is private forestry, but this was the time to go exploring.

The first I checked out was Pinedale Road just South of the Putaruru Timber Museum, Google shows sealed roads running for miles from here however 200 metres off SH1 signs show the end of the public road and from there the roads are some corporate private farm.

Next option was Mossop Road from beside the Mobil station in Tokoroa, this seemed to be the one as at the T junction at the end of Mossop road a left turn is onto Mamaku South road which turns into just South Road which according to Google runs right into Mamaku Village.

Unfortunately I didn’t get to Mamaku as roughly 7 km up Mamaku South Road the throttle cable on the DR snapped.
    After confirming what was wrong I wound the idle up on the DR and started heading back to Tokoroa, 7km of gravel and 18km of seal at idle.
    Don’t break down here, there’s no mobile reception and no passing traffic.

I was glad it wasn’t mid summer as it was hot enough in bike gear. The jacket got stashed across the handle bars and the helmet clipped to the rear rack to try and keep the temperature down.

This area is very undulating which required walking the bike up most of the hills and it was 10km before I could get strong enough mobile reception to make a phone call for assistance, which was an hour away. It took 2 1/4 hours walking and idling to cover the 22km back to Tokoroa and I was well knackered by then.

Back In Tokoroa I parked up at the Mobil Station and got some water and food and waited for my rescue ride to turn up.

Not how you want a ride to end.

Just as we finished loading the bike up Thomas Bodely pulled in on his new to Him BMW R1150GSA that he had collected from Christchurch 2 days before and was riding back to Auckland.

So after just putting the bike back together I’ve got to pull it all apart again. After the changes I made last time the bike is running WAY better though I suspect the 150 jet is a little rich so I’ll order a 148 or whatever the next size down is. The steering is also lighter though it binds a bit turning right. There’s a whole pile of wiring on the right side of the steering stem and I think this is bunching up and stopping the bars turning properly that way so I will check that out while in there. I have re routed some of those wires to account for the 50mm bar risers I fitted years ago so they aren’t in the stock location.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

So it seemed that I was the first person in NZ to ever break a accelerator cable on a DR650 as not only did Suzuki not have any in stock but they’d never ever had to supply a replacement cable in the DR’s 22 year model history. I did manage to find a 2nd hand grip and cables on trademe however.

I opened everything up today and discovered the cable is in fact was sound, this was confusing and concerning as there’s not much else to go wrong in a flat slide carb.

Pulling the top off the carb and the reason was immediately obvious what the problem really was.

It looks like the screw had been rattling around mostly undone for a while and the thump as I hit a pothole finally dislodged it.

Seeing as I was in there again I replaced the 150 main jet with a 148 and the 40 idle jet with a 38. The bike started up again the best it ever has.

So I’ve got a spare throttle and cables if anyone ever needs them.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I dropped the rear rim into Boyd’s this morning for a tyre change. The TW302 Trail Wing fitted in December last year at 41958km was done at 47635km, so only 5677km on that tyre which I consider fairly low. The tyre was a bit of a @nordieboy special however in that it had hung on the wall for about 3 years before being fitted, I don’t know if that has any effect on a tyres life.

It’s a bit sad that I had only done 5677km in 11 months.

The new tyre is another Mitas E-09

Viewing 10 posts - 121 through 130 (of 130 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.