Eddie’s BMW R80 / Velorex 562 build

Forums Forums Sidecars Sidecar Builds Eddie’s BMW R80 / Velorex 562 build

This topic contains 76 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Box.a.Bits 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

I acquired a Velorex 562 last year which I am looking to hook up to my DR650.

Given that the DR650 isn’t designed for a sidecar, and is not a solid bike it needs a subframe to mount the sidecar to. We’ve done some measuring up and have a design in mind

I have some of the arms required but didn’t have a swan neck or any brackets for the bike end of things. I started looking for a supplier of just the parts I need and found one in the UK but then I found a supplier on Ebay in Germany who could supply a whole kit for less than the cost of the parts I needed.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

My sidecar project is taking a turn, instead of the DR the sidecar is now going to be hooked up to a 1986 BMW R80 TIC. The TIC model is ex MOT (Ministry of Transport) though this bike has had a number of changes since it left the Police force.

Attachments:

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I picked up the new tug this afternoon. At the moment it’s sitting in the garage on the battery charger to see if the battery has any life left in it.

The lower part of the fairing at least will have to go to get the sidecar arms on. I suspect the whole lot will go as the stock bars are very narrow and low
    and I’d like higher and wider bars, which I don’t think will fit behind the fairing

Attachments:

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I spent a little time on the bike last night. It’s been sitting for ~6 months and is an oldish bike so needs a little attention here and there.

First job was the get the clutch working as the cable wouldn’t pull in properly. This turned out to be 2 issues, the first was that the clutch cable pulls a lever at the rear of the gearbox which in turn engages a small pushrod into the gearbox. The pushrod had partially frozen but the act of loosening the gearbox lever to remove the cable released the pushrod so that was an easy fix, the 2nd issue was that the bike has heated grips and the brake lever was fouling on the grip where the electric cable entered the grip, this was resolved by spinning the grip about 15 degrees.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

The BMW RS fairing fitted to my bike isn’t what was originally fitted from the factory and gets in the way of mounting a subframe for the sidecar so the lower part at least had to come off.

The bike also has a dodgy starter, but it wasn’t certain whether it was the starter motor or wiring issues causing that.

To top things off the previous owner is overseas doing a RTW trip and I did the deal for this bike via his parents and it seems I was supplied with the wrong set of keys. That’s going to be sorted out but in the meantime I had no way of starting switching the bike to do any testing.

Today I managed to get the fairing lowers off, unbolt the starter motor, and hotwire the ignition so that I could test all the electrics and the starter out. It appears it is the starter that’s at fault so I will get a new one ordered. There’s no NZ supplier so it will be coming from the USA.

Here’s the bikes current state, lower fairings off, starter unbolted, airbox unbolted to allow access to the starter bolts, and the ignition hotwired.

Here’s how it looks currently next to the sidecar. Whether the rest of the fairing stays or goes is uncertain at present, though I am leaning towards removing it all.

Still to do: (this list may change as time progresses)

Get a new starter motor
    Get the right keys
    Possibly get a new battery
    Get a new exhaust pipe
    Wire brush & paint exhaust headers
    Build a subframe for the sidecar
    Attach sidecar to subframe
    Build a wiring loom for sidecar lights
    Get sidecar dialled in
    Ride it!

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Starter Motor and Horn arrived today! plus a bonus caliper/measuring whatsit.

Attachments:

Anonymous

Got the new starter fitted today but it seems the battery doesn’t have enough oomph to turn it over. I also re-wired the ignition so I can run the bike on Park seeing as the keys I’ve got won’t turn the switch any further.

Following that was a bit of a garage tidying session, I can actually get to all of the bikes now.

The camera didn’t have a wide enough lens to capture the sidecar as well

garge.jpg

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Woohoo! the BMW runs, though it took several minutes of being hooked up to the car battery with the car running to get enough oomph to turn it over, and as it was the first time it had been started in a while it took a bit of encouragement.

Now that I know the starter is all sorted I can reassemble the airbox and all the other stuff that had to be removed to get to it and that will take things one step closer.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

The new air filter, airbox and battery are installed, however the bike runs worse than a 3 legged dog. It sounds like the timing is WAY out so it looks like I’m on the hunt for a timing light to sort that.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Woohoo! it lives.

I spent a couple of hours on the bike today, pulled all the jets out of both carbs and gave them a blowout. They were a bit dirty but no blockages.

After that I found that the left fuel filter was clogged so fuel wasn’t getting into that cylinder. Once another length of hose long enough to go from the tank to the carb was used the bike fired up. The bike is still running rough at idle, but is now revving smoothly off idle.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Working on the bike again tonight, I had it idling sweet….. for about 30 seconds. Then it dropped to one cylinder. I suspect like the other side the fuel filter might be blocked so I’ll have to find some more fuel hose to replace whats there and see how it goes.

So close to having the bike running……!

Eddieb
    Keymaster

So the R80 was delivered to my brother in law last night to start on the subframe build, we are taking a few ideas of Coriman’s build and have most of it figured out, the trip over wasn’t without it’s issues however.

I fitted new fuel filters before the ride and it turns out the filters don’t flow enough to allow the motor to run properly, once the float bowls empty the motor starves and if the revs drop the motor will stall. Wait a few seconds for the float bowls to refill and it runs sweet again.

The fuel line is 1/4inch which equals 6.35mm and fits the tank outlet and the carb inlets fine. The filters have 6mm ends which equals .236inch so a very slight amount smaller but obviously it makes a big difference.

Even worse was that 3/4’s of the way a nut vibrated loose on the right valve cover and oil spewed everywhere, all over my right boot and down the entire left side of the bike.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Last nights ride also confirmed my thoughts that the bars will have to go for wider more upright ones with risers, which will require removing the fairing also. The riding position is just too cramped and needs to be a lot more upright for me.

So…lots of things to do still.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Measuring up where and how everything is going to sit, with Aaron holding the bike level

I really like the look of the RS fairing, but i’m pretty sure it won’t fit higher wider bars behind it.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Things are happening

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.