Eddie’s BMW R80 / Velorex 562 build

Forums Forums Sidecars Sidecar Builds Eddie’s BMW R80 / Velorex 562 build

This topic contains 76 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Box.a.Bits 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 77 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

So my changes didn’t the handling any better afterall, just bad in different ways.

Stinky
    Participant

So what is you main issue with how it rides? I tend to make one change at a time to remedy the main problem and test ride between changes. If you want a second set of eyes I’m happy to pop around for a look.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

No real progress at the moment, life has been too busy to revist the setup.

I have been taking the daughter to school in it a bit though, she loves it

Eddieb
    Keymaster

So I haven’t updated in a while, the sidecar is getting a fair bit of use and we took it for our first overnight trip over the New Year break to Tauranga and back.

I still need to do some suspension work but it’s running fairly well, a bit of tuning has also improved the fuel economy by about 20%.

In Matamata with my favorite monkey.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I’ve been taking the sidecar to work each day where it’s been parked in a bike park in central Hamilton, yesterday I come back to it at 5pm and find this on the seat.

It says: “To Hogwarts Hagrid… Harry Potter :)”

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Took the sidecar down for it’s WOF today, it needs a rear tyre, which I have a spare of, and it needs bar ends.
    I have a set of moto x bars on it that are open at the ends and either the grips need to encase the ends of the bars, or you have to have bar ends/weights fitted.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

The sidecar got a new WOF last week and I took it out over the weekend with the dog, his 3rd time in the chair. He’s getting better at it now, not wobbling around so much, and the ladies and kids love him.

Attachments:

Eddieb
    Keymaster

So I’ve made the very difficult decision to move my sidecar on. I love riding it but with my health I just don’t get a chance to, I don’t even get to ride the DR as much as I’d like.

I’ll let the new owner announce themselves if and when they wish to, but it is a member here.

There will definately be another sidecar in my future, probably something more designed to take in gravel roads. They are just so much fun and a totally different riding experience.

Box.a.Bits
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW Supertanker, R80 & Velorex Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200

So as Eddie mentioned, the sidecar has sold – to me!!!. I’m a complete sidebar noob, but certainly not to Airheads. This bike actually lived in my garage for several months, prior to Eddie converting it for hack use.

I’ve been looking at sidecars for some considerable time. And surprisingly my wife is somewhat supportive of this.

Looking forward to the challenge of learning this unit. First step will be getting it down to Wellington.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I took the sidecar out for a final ride today, and to make sure it was running for @stephen-clark since it hadn’t been started in about 2 months.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Stephen arrived last night to take the sidecar to Wellington, after a short riding lesson this morning he weaved his way off down the road.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Box.a.Bits
    Participant

FIRST DRAFT – JONAH & THE WHALE.

After the ride back from Hamilton there were a few issues I wanted to resolve.

COSMETICS:
    The bloody aweful mirrors fitted were the 1st thing to go. I now have a right side mirror, but not a left. Need to remedy that.

HEADLIGHT REFLECTOR:
    Changed out the headlight reflector for the proper 8” light from BMW. There was a new second hand one amongst the spares Eddie had given me. Just needed to be mounted. Easy as. Good cosmetic improvement. And the 7” reflector is now available as a spare for Gus.

FUEL:
    Pulled the tank to check on: the lack of a reserve on the right side, &; the apparent fuel leak near the left fuel tap. Looks like the left tap just needed to be seated properly. Whew – I thought the tank may have been rusted out. The right tap had had the feed straws improperly seated in the tap when the fuel filter sock was last cleaned – and as a consequence they were loose & the fuel feed was directly into the tap.

Also replaced the fuel lines with some off Rufas – the existing fuel lines were too large & didn’t have the balance pipe (which runs under the airbox) connected between the carbs. Both of the right fuel tap issue & the lack of a balance tube contributed to my running out of gas twice during the Hamilton delivery run.

SUSPENSION:
    Jacked the sidecar up on a car jack, & pulled the front forks.

The main issue was that the fork springs were so soft that all of the travel was quickly used up once I was onboard & riding, particularly loading up in left turns. My fear was of inadvertantly flying the chair at an inopportune time. These had also leaked badly from the fill allen bolts during the trip. Finally, Eddie had also put on gaiters, which were causing the forks to bind, mainly because all of the suspension travel was being used up. I’ll likely refit these once I know the forks are working properly.

I calculated the spring rate (from the no of coils @ 36, spring wire width @4.3mm, & spring length @ 472mm, using a spreadsheet calculator) at about 0.40kgs/mm travel. For sidecar useage, a rule of thumb was to increase spring rates +20%, which would be circa 0.48kg/mm. But the BMW forks are already quite softly sprung, so I thought a little more would be appropriate, say 0.55kg/mm. I also checked to see that the loss of spring length wouldn’t cause coil bind.

To achieve the increase in spring rate, I cut the spring circa 90mm or so, then heated the last coil with a torch till that portion of the spring glowed red, then compressed the coil (using a piece of wood as a form) to form a flat. That was then ground down somewhat to achieve a better flat. Also made a terrific brand (if any of you want one).

Reforming the spring flats

Once the springs were dealt to, I made up 100mm preload spacers out of 25mm internal diameter steel pipe (28mm external), to replace the lost spring length.

The left fork stantion had a slight ripple I could feel but not see, just underneath where the bottom triple clamp rides. I’m guessing that it has been bent & straightened. The left damper rod had quite a bit of aluminium swarf on it. It looks like the damper rod also had a ripple, & at some point in the travel, the damper shim would catch, cock sideways, & cause a further divot in the damper rod. As an interim measure I have reasembled everything, but will buy a good second hand fork stantion & damper unit to replace it.

Suspension components

Left damper

Damper rod

The rear Koni has limited preload, & the adjustment is stuck. I can remove the grub screw, but not wind up the preload collar. I’ll see how that goes.

ENGINE & FINAL DRIVE:
    Decided to do a bit more work to the motorvation side of the equation, & to do that required the sidecar to come off. Just removed the bike side bolts (4) without changing the links.

Pulled the 34/11 (3.09) final drive, to replace it with the 32:10 (3.20) final drive Igor had given Eddie at the time he sold the bike to him – this had resided in my garage since that time. The rig was overgeared (but relaxed) & under powered during the trip from Hamilton. The higher final drive will help give a bit more urge (but only about a 3.6% gear reduction).

And while I was there, decided to pull the engine & drop in the R100GSPD donk I just happened to have laying around. The engine swap is another easy 10hp (+20%), & quite a bit more torque. A word. Those engines are fricking heavy. I did the swap by myself, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

Engine swap

Engine swap 2

The GS donk came with 40mm carbs (rather than the 32mm carbs on the R80 motor). Actually I’d have preferred to keep the 32mm carbs (better bottom end), but the intake stubs were stubbonly stuck in the GS heads. I may deal to that at a later date.

Pulled the oil cooler off the GS engine, necessitating swapping out some internals in the oil filter canister. These bits may go back on in a later iteration, but the existing subframe precludes using an oil cooler at present.

The clutch pack was in much better condition than expected. This measured 5.4mm thick. No real taper. The friction disc was multi pawl, so not stock. While I was looking at components, I lubed the clutch diaphram spring fingers & the surface that it runs against on the flywheel (makes for a much nicer pull on the clutch lever), & check the gearbox & motor sides for oil leaks. The gearbox input side was dirty, but not oilly – a good sign. The GS engine didn’t look like the oil pump or main seal were leaking, so I left the flywheel as is.

After I refitted the engine, clutch, gearbox, swingarm & final drive, I discovered the drive shaft fill bolt was stripped – so I couldn’t fill thru that. I wanted to see if the final drive swap was worthwhile, or if I would drop to 37:11 (R65), so I kept this drive on, but filled thru the driveshaft boot, which required stripping the back end of the bike down again. Only problem was that the driveshaft boot started immediately leaking gearbox oil. There was a small tear in the boot, only visible when the boot was stretched, so I needed to pull that off again & put on a spare. Pissed me off when that leaked too, but I’ve tightened the clamps a bit more & hope that’s sorted.

Split swingarm boot

MAINTENANCE & ANCILLIARIES:
    Did a bit of wiring work to clean up the taps Eddie had made to give the chair lighting.

Put the valeo starter in off the GSPD. This was new 2004. But now it’s there I can hear that it needs a service. I was going to do that before I fitted it, but the cases weren’t opening easily, so I left it.

Checked the valve clearances. Way out at 0.35mm intake & exhaust left, & 0.30 & 0.25 on the right. Adjusted to 0.20mm exhaust & 0.15mm intake. Noted the rocker needle roller bearings have some play.

Didn’t retorque the heads. These have some splooge from leaks & the pushroad seals likely need a refresh at some stage.

Changed the R80 cables for the GSPD ones. Quite apart from longer sheath length, the GS cables (for the 40mm carb) are longer in the operating (inner) length.

The beancan gave better timing than the one currently fitted to Gus. Pleased with that.

Tried the GS headers & R100R collector box. These fit, but I’d need to do more work on the R100R exhaust before that’ll comfortably fit. So back to the R80 exhaust meantime.

Bolting up the sidecar

Bolting up the sidecar was a prick of a job. I need to build a dolly to take the weight of the sidecar, & to allow me to move it around. In the meantime inopportuned my beloved wife to come help. Words ensued…

TESTING:
    Took Katherine for a quick ride round the block. Aside from the idle being wrong, I was pleased. Later on, Andy Mac came round with his new ride, & so we did a circuit out to Makara & back thru’ Karori in the rain. Katherine stayed pretty dry, using the tonneau cover.

Test ride

NEXT JOBS:
    Need to consider what tyres I’ll run, given an intent to use this in gravel. The front is well tired.
    Need to fit an LED tail light. The current rear is fairly dim.
    Brake fluid change. The mastercylinder return isn’t as nice as I’d like;
    Revamp the left turn signal & running lights;
    Fit the GS bashplate (given I have a GS sump fitted);
    Refit the sidecar grab bar;
    Fit a mirror for the sidecar monkey;
    Fit a sidelight & indicator at the front of the tub;
    At some stage I’ll need to spend some quality time working on chassis set up. At the time I picked the bike up, the bike had some lean out. With the suspension revision, it’s a slight lean in – not desireable.

Box.a.Bits
    Participant

Subsequent to the above post, I managed to get hold of a replacement fork stantion & damper unit, so replaced the previously bent & straightened left unit.

Also spent some time fitted up the Coriman upper triple clamp. This is set up to kick the front end out, to reduce trail. The picture shows the difference between the stock item & the replacement stainless plate.

Stock vs Coriman top triple clamp comparison

Fitting it required a car jack between the fork brace & the sidecar subframe, to effectively bend the bottom triple clamp into alignment. Have to say that was nerve racking stuff to achieve.

The front brakes are better for a flush. There was a bit of air in the system. The mastercylinder pivot point was well gummed up, & responded well to be bit of moly grease.

I also fitted the R65 final drive. Embarrasingly, I’d misread the ratio on the FD I’d taken off – I already had the R65 (37/11) FD fitted when I bought the sidecar from Eddie. Doh!

Finally, I also fitted up a new square section front tyre. The initial attempt (Metzler 18×400 Block K Sidecar tyre) was too tall, so I ended up with a Mitas H06 18×350.

One thing that the tyre switch did highlight, was the routing of the brake line under the front mudguard. I am very consious that this is exposed to a stone taking out the brakes – I’ll change that very shortly. I’m surprised that BMW designed it that way…

Front brake line routing

The result of all this work is a sidecar that turns much easier, without the immediate need to spend moneyon a leading link front end. It’s a bit more nervous on the motorway, but controllable.

The aim of all of the work was to take the sidecar up to the 40th Cold Kiwi. That’s documented in a separate ride report.

You couldn’t ever say that getting into this chair was elegant…

Mounting the sidecar

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.