Eddie’s BMW R80 / Velorex 562 build

Forums Forums Sidecars Sidecar Builds Eddie’s BMW R80 / Velorex 562 build

This topic contains 76 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Box.a.Bits 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 76 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Author

Box.a.Bits
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW Supertanker, R80 & Velorex Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200

MAINTENANCE 22nd Oct ’17 – 32,650kms
    Still chipping away at maintenance tasks.

Changed all the oils. Unfortunately managed to strip the oil level check bolt, attempting to remove that from the final drive housing. Fortunately it’s still in place, so still sealed. And not actually necessary. I’ll need to get that removed at some point, & helicoiled – but not immediately. Oils looked good, but a little dark. Given the loads that the FD takes in the sidecar, not surprised.

The driveshaft oil was brown, I assume from the winters condensation & dirt.

Replaced the gearbox oils – then saw the crush washer sitting on the bench. Not sure if that is a spare (& I have one fitted) or…. not leaking so I’ll leave it.

With the reduction in the front sidecar mount, I have been able to fit an oil cooler. That involved swapping out an internal fitting in the filter canister, a different oil filter & cover, & all the oil cooler plumbing. Initially has been positioned on the right side crash bar, per the R100GS Donor – longer term that’ll be centre mounted. Looks a little odd with just one crash bar, but hey, it’s a sidecar – no prizes for aesthetics. I’d noticed that the sidecar ran hot in the summer, given the load the motor is pulling, so I’m pleased to have that in place.

Fitted the rear rack – pleased with the look of that.

Fitted a new chair tyre – cast off Kenda K273 350-16 from a GN125 – apparently a popular farm bike in Southland. $25 ea. 5 mm centre tread depth.

The front TW18 has worn from 9mm to 5mm centre tread depth in 3232 kms, so 808 km/mm or 6060 kms to 1.5mm. I have swapped to a new TW18 given an impending SI trip. I’ll use the other one some other time.

Box.a.Bits
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW Supertanker, R80 & Velorex Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200

CHANGE –
    So the Tug is sold, albeit it’ll be with me a few more weeks so I can do a bit of work to it. I’ll be refitting the stock R80 engine & final drive to it. It’s new owner intends that it will continue life initially as a scrambler, but longer term moving more towards a cafe racer. Given how tidy other of his projects have been I have no doubts it’ll be very nice.

I have a new R80G/S project that will get all the nice bits off ‘Gus’, my current solo bike.

Gus is destined to the the new tug, & will get the R100 engine from the existing tug, KTM USD forks, & a nice 18″ cross spoke wheel from an R1200C.

The sidecar will need new rear mounts.

Stay tuned

Viewing 2 posts - 76 through 77 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.