No products in the cart.

Home Forums General Discussion Chit Chat First trip to NZ!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Wingman 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

w84dirt
    Participant

Greetings all!

I’m new to this forum, and I’m planning my first trip to New Zealand. My trip will be 4 weeks in duration, and will start the last week of September, and go through the 3rd week of October. I’m considering shipping my 1200GS from California to NZ, and I’m getting quotes around $1000 each way for the shipping.

My questions are: It looks to me as though shipping my bike would be much cheaper than renting one for 30 days; please correct me if I’m wrong.

Second: I plan to visit both islands (starting in the north), and I’m wondering how much rain I might encounter this time of year?

Third: I’d like to do some camping while there, are there adequate camping sites, and do I need to reserve a site in advance?

Lastly, please offer any advice you may have to offer for a first timer to NZ!

Thank you in advance!

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Greetings w84dirt

You don’t mention whether thats $1000 US or NZ for the shipping but to rent a 1200GS here you are looking at $225NZ per day minimum for 21 days or over so $5000-6000NZ for bike hire. You could buy an older GS for that money.
    If you want something a bit more basic you can get rental down to about $150 per day

One thing to consider with shipping is that in general sea shipping schedules are notoriously unreliable as there are so many potential factors that could delay a boat like weather, industrial action at a port anywhere on the way etc. It would suck if your bike didn’t arrive here till a week after you did. Air transport is far more reliable for the outbound trip, on the return trip timing is usually not so important so sea can be an ok option.

Here’s some info on weather in NZ, according to this you should expect rain about 1 in every 3 to 4 days: http://www.tourism.net.nz/new-zealand/about-new-zealand/weather-and-climate.html

Camping sites are all over the country and at that time of year you shouldn’t have to book in advance unless there’s an event on in the same area. Check out this app for campsites. Also the Department of Conservation (DOC, kinda like your national parks department) have 200 campsites nationwide that are either free or very cheap to use. They usually have very basic facilites like maybe just a long drop toilet and a stream for water but are often in stunning places.
    http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/things-to-do/camping/

Don’t count on doing huge miles per day, most of our roads are equivalent to country backroads in other countries in that they are single lane each way and definately not a straight line from A to B. It will take you longer to get anywhere than you expect. Even our main National Highway, State Highway 1, which runs from the very top to the very bottom is mostly single lane each way.

w84dirt
    Participant

Thank you so much for your timely response! The $1000 is U.S. dollars.

Your information on the uncertainties of shipping is an excellent point I hadn’t considered. I’ll look into air shipping.

I had considered purchasing a motorcycle when I arrived in NZ, but I wasn’t sure how difficult it might be since I’m not a NZ citizen; I’ll look into that too.

I can handle 33% of my time in the rain; always the optimist!

Thank you again for all your excellent information from across the planet; this internet thing is amazing! 😉

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Buying a bike is easy, just hand over the money and ride away. You don’t have to have citizenship to buy a vehicle, just the cash.

Insurance is not compulsory in NZ but is highly recommended.

ChrisCole
    Participant

If you do plan to ship your bike from the US you need to factor in the cost of a Carnet which isn’t going to be inconsiderable. I think you are likely to be better off buying a bike and trying to negotiate a buy back deal.
    A lot of camping grounds have cabins you can rent for the night.
    Have a good trip

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Check out this page: https://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/getting-started/useful-links/

It has links to information about temporarily importing a motorcycle to NZ.

Wingman
    Participant
    • Bike: Ducati Multistrada 620 Nudo, Husqvarna SM610 Supermoto

I have ridden in many countries but never bothered with shipping a bike. Getting it legal to ride can waste lots of days which you could be touring. Things like Headlights that dip to the left here on low beam but dip to the right on bikes made for RHS driving can be an issue.
    There are always plenty of GS 1200s for sale both privately and at dealerships that you could buy online and have it waiting when you arrive here. Here’s a good NZ website to find one;

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchString=gs+1200&type=Search&searchType=all&user_region=100&user_district=0&generalSearch_keypresses=0&generalSearch_suggested=0&generalSearch_suggestedCategory=

If you buy from a dealer you may be able to negotiate a cheaper buyback when you leave or maybe even someone here is keen for a deal and will take it off your hands. Even if you sold it well under market value it will still work out cheaper for you than shipping yours here and back.
    There’s plenty of storage room in my shed if you cant sell it before you leave…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.