June 10, 2015 at 5:27 pm #8693
Rank: 1200cc Rider
- Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
- Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV
An adventure 155 years in the making
There are no greater Australian stories of adventure and exploration than that of Burke & Wills from 1860. A group of intrepid explorers set off from Melbourne, Victoria, in August 1860 charged with the mission of exploring “Terra Incognita” – the vast unknown land that lay north of Cooper Creek near Innamincka, South Australia.
In Outback sceneAugust 2015, Nick and Trudi Selleck from Maschine will lead a motorcycle adventure ride that will depart Melbourne following in the footsteps of Burke & Wills.
On August 20 the Burke & Wills Expedition adventure ride will depart Melbourne following in the footsteps of our early pioneers. The ride north to the Gulf of Carpentaria, Queensland, will cover some 3600km over 10 days and is open to all makes of Adventure and Enduro motorcycles that are up to the challenge of covering this vast land.
Maschine is the company behind this grand adventure and they are well versed in staging supported group adventure rides of this scale, having managed the popular BMW Safari events over the past five years. The organisation is world class and the support provided makes it possible for everyday riders to become explorers of the breadth of this country and uncover some extraordinary Australian stories.
Event organiser, Nick Selleck from Maschine, said: “There is so much to the story of Burke & Wills that the average Aussie just doesn’t know about. When you see the country that they trekked through you really gain an appreciation for just how hardy our early explorers must have been. I’m really excited to be able to offer riders the opportunity to relive this great Australian story.”
Bike and windmillThis is a fully supported ride with an all-inclusive price that covers most aspects of the trip, including:
• A welcome function in Melbourne befitting such a grand expedition.
• Detailed route information supplied by GPS file and a printed route journal.
• Each night a narration will be provided that delves into the story of the original expedition and explores the rich Australian stories of the people that currently live in this country.
• Technical and tyre support will be available enroute.
• Medical support will travel with our group with a bike-mounted paramedic.
• Luggage will be carried on a truck each day, allowing you to ride light.
• Accommodation most nights will be camping under the stars, but you will also enjoy a comfy motel bed during a few nights.
• Most meals are catered for with dining in some iconic outback locations.
• Assistance with arranging bike transport to and from the event.
• A fleet of hire bikes will be available for riders that don’t posses the right machine to complete the trip.
• The ride is destined to finish in Karumba Queensland on the Gulf of Carpentaria with a farewell function worthy of this expedition. From there riders can make their own stories on their trip home.
Bookings are now open, so head to http://www.maschine.com.au or call (Australia)0 3 5428 8433.
Attachments:June 15, 2015 at 8:45 pm #8725
Rank: 1000cc Rider
- Location: Wellington
- Bike: BMW Supertanker, R80 & Velorex Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200
Looks cool. Would be nice to have the spare cash to do this (I certainly have the time)…
Aussie is looking better & better to me these days (as a ride location, definitely not to live)..
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.