fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

East Cape Fuel Stops.

Home Forums General Discussion Chit Chat East Cape Fuel Stops.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    James C
    Participant
    • Bike: 2014 Triumph Tiger 800 XR

Hey there.

I am new to Adventure Riding and planning my first ride out this weekend. Doing the East Cape Lighthouse then SH38 Lake Waikaremoana and out the top back home to Auckland.

Checking google maps it seems I may run out of fuel.

My first night will be spent at Te Araroa Holiday Park. I then trek out to the Lighthouse and back down the east coast following the 35. Google show a gas station in Te Araroa. Its not confidence inspiring at all as the photo thereof depicts a rather tired looking pump. Something that dispenses rust as opposed to high grade fuel. (No disrespect just a little nervous ?)

Has anyone used the Fuel Pump in Te Araroa?

Herein lies my dilemma. I am on a Ducati Scrambler. A Fuel Range of approx 170km – 200km. So some advance planning seems to be prudent – failing which it could be a very long wait for an Uber.

Does anyone know of any Fuel stations between Hicks bay and Tolaga Bay?

I leave early hours of Friday morning. I would be most grateful for any advice.

Many thanks
    Cheers
    James.

Brainflex
    Participant
    • Bike: CT110, Husky TE 250, DRZ250, CB500X

If in doubt, carry spare fuel! To be useful, I’ve filled up a few times with no problems in Te Araroa.

James C
    Participant

Thanks for your reply, that’s good advice. If I can fill up in Te Araroa I’ll be schweet.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Fuel in Te Araroa can be flaky. I was there 3 months ago and the truck hadn’t made it so they were out. Going through there 3 years earlier they were also out. It is heavily used though so if you fill up there it should be fairly fresh.

There is also fuel in Ruatoria behind the supermarket.

oghood
    Participant
    • Bike: White Rhino Dr650

Filled at Ruatoria few weeks bak

James C
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. Yip the Trip went well. Filled at Te Araroa. Only Diesel and 91 available. Lake Waikaremoana had plenty of fuel. I called ahead to make sure. My Ducati’s fuel consumption was very good. I was getting 210km before reserve light came on. I learnt a lot on this trip made lots of mistakes, but it was fantastic.

James C
    Participant

Thought I’d add a Pic. Loved riding the Ducati, but I think I need a bigger bike?

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Holy crap! did that wheelie everywhere?

Not a bigger bike just more suitable luggage.

James C
    Participant

LOL, looks worse than it was! Total weight was just over 13kgs. Unfortunately Tent, Sleeping Bag and Roll are a bit bulky. Will research this and have to invest in smaller gear. My Kriega Duo Saddlebags have arrived. Just waiting for the Mounting plates.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.