fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Gidday lads and ladies

Home Forums General Discussion Chit Chat Gidday lads and ladies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Te Hopo
    Participant

Just signed up here although I have been following the Facebook page for a while now.
    Originally found the site through ADVrider where I’m also known as Te Hopo.

Adventure bikes are all I have owned in the 10 years I’ve been riding, currently in the garage is one well used 2006 Yamaha XT250, I’ll be sure to post up a thread covering all of the home made farkles I’ve done to make it a great lightweight ADVbike.
    It’s a little gutless out on the highway but once I hit the gravel or single track, it’s a fun light little bike.

Anyone passing through Picton, I’m happy to provide a bed and some secure outside parking, or if you want to know of some less known trails I’m happy to show and tell.

Deano

zaTTaz
    Participant
    • Bike: CBR250RR, DR350, WR450

Hey Deano, I’m in Picton too. Just picked up an old DR and am keen to hear of any good trails locally, or even better if you don’t mind a tag along I’d take you up on a show and tell some time.
    Going to have a nose up Waikakaho at some stage this week (went as far as the river tonight but wasn’t sure what was going to happen with the rain) and will probably rock over Redwood and Taylors pass to get a few miles in before giving the Molesworth a crack in the next fortnight.

Is there much over Port Underwood way?

Cheers,

Taz

Te Hopo
    Participant

Ooooh an old DR, nice choice.
    I’m busy this weekend down Kaikoura way but I’ll message you my number and am keen to meet up sometime for a chat.

Waikakaho is a nice in and out valley and the Redwood/Taylor Passes are a nice short loop.

The ride around to Tumbledown Bay over Port Underwood is real nice, the first gravel sections tend to be either thick gravel or corrugations until you get past the main forestry entrances, then the road becomes a real nice smooth hardpack with very very little traffic.

I came through the Port from Blenheim to Picton last Friday, corrugations inside the corners but generally the road was nice, just got to watch out for traffic.

My number is listed in here: https://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/members/member-assistance/member-assistance-detail/?pdb=34

Feel free to flick me a text or call, I’m keen to meet up and organize something, I too was thinking of hitting the Molesworth sometime soon.

zaTTaz
    Participant

The DR’s seem to be a good all rounder and I’m glad to have it. Think it’s running a bit lean higher in the revs otherwise I’m absolutely stoked with it.

Yeah I sweated my way over Redwood pass on my CBR, it’s what made me decide I needed a bike that I can handle on gravel/isn’t on sports tyres lol

I’ve done the Port Underwood in the car a few times but keen to have a nose up some of the side tracks on the bike. I did a few in my old 4×4 on the south end, but they were just clay pylon tracks. Most of them probably are I guess but I’ll soon find out.

Unfortunately I work most weekends so do most of my riding during the week or evenings (I don’t start till 9 so can still get away for a night within Marlborough and make it back in time).

Will grab your number and give you a yell for a chat mate.

Also have you done that track around Tennyson Inlet? The one with the plane wreckage or something? When I first moved up the local 4×4 club did a run through clearing it out but I’ve lost the details I wrote down about it.

Cheers,

Taz

Te Hopo
    Participant

The ridge track above the Port is a good one, you access it at the lookout up the saddle between Whatamanga Bay and Port Underwood and head out along the gravel track to the side.
    It starts out easy along a gravel track and once past the gated turnoff for the satellite dishes up the top, it starts getting overgrown and gnarly and leads out into the forestry blocks above Tory Channel and you can either cut out down between Opihi and Whanagkoko Bays or keep going further, I have ridden out to Oyster Bay when someone I knew owned a batch out there.
    I’m not sure how much further the road is open but it’s definitely a weekend ride just in case any forestry is happening up in there.
    The road from Hakana Bay over the Fighting Bay is gated and off limits.

As for tracks around Tennyson Inlet, I have only done the track from above Elaine Bay over into Penzance Bay about 10 years ago and I tell you what, that was some hard yakka even on a lightweight 125.

I’ve ridden to most openly accessible roads in the sounds, French Pass, Bulwer, Titirangi, Anakoha, Port Gore, Clova Bay, Crail Bay and so on.
    All real nice roads to explore and easily reached in a few hours, in two weekends I’m planning on heading out to see some friends at Manaroa for a few days.

Have you been up the North Bank much?
    A lot of forestry trucks up there, however there are a few roads worth checking out.
    Just after you turn onto the North Bank Road, stop at the DOC info sign as that tells you which roads are closed before you get halfway up a valley only to find it’s closed.

A couple of good rides up there, Onamalutu over to Batletts Creek, Mt Patriarch and the Goulter river carpark.

zaTTaz
    Participant

Cheers for all the details Deano. I had the car up to the Goulter carpark and decided I would come back in the 4×4 and see if I could make it to the hut (along the river), but I never did and I might have been dreaming it was possible haha. Will nose down on the bike and take another look.

Cheers for the advice on the DOC sign too. Haven’t seen that.
    Dad had a farm up the Onamalutu for a short time years ago and I was gutted to find a locked gate on Kiwi Road when I first moved up. I haven’t even been back since unfortunately but it’s close enough to do some afternoon runs around.

Have you read anything about the logging trucks on Port Underwood road? Have seen a couple of things in the local rag and it sounds like they will be underway at some stage this year.

Te Hopo
    Participant

Not sure about logging trucks in the Port at the mo, I do know there was a kerfuffle a few weeks back over them up the Waiakaho.

zaTTaz
    Participant

Just had a read up on that, it was drizzling when I went for a nose and I actually thought myself it was interesting how much dust there was considering the moisture, so I’m not surprised it’s a problem in the summer. People pay good money to cover themselves in shit like that in the name of health so if all else fails maybe they should embrace it and open some retreat XD

Port is just a formality by the looks. They threw some bureaucratic papers around in advance when they planted from memory. Just one of the norms of living in an area like this from my perspective.

Going to go for another nose up Waiakaho this arvo. I stopped at the bridge/gate at -41° 23′ 13.75″, +173° 50′ 59.03″ but the legal road goes further it seems so I’ll see where I end up.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.