fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

GPS as a Speedo

Home Forums Riding All things GPS GPS as a Speedo

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Removed User

A little while ago my KTM took a dunking at hight speed at Baileys Beach…
    It hurt my pride more than anything to see one of my mates laughing rather than rushing over as the high tide swamped me…
    I lost a phone, iPod and some dignity that day……

Anyway, move on…
    I got a warrant of fitness later with a gps fixed to the bars and all was well. The speedo had stopped and was I thought beyond repair. It was…..
    I bought another one from the USA, luckily the same model and less Km’s just…and attached it to the LC4..
    It seems now that the government has changed the rules in that a gps device cannot be used as a speedo on a motorbike nor in a car.
    The reason I say this is that I am in the market for a cool Husqvarna and the speedo doesn’t work. Now, it maybe a sensor at the wheel, or the cable as the rest of the unit works, revs, lights, indicators etc…
    Here’s hoping.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Interesting, I thought you couldn’t use a GPS at all, I didn’t realise you used to be able to.

Removed User

Rules changed apparently. It used to be a device that could read speed, be clearly displayed and didn’t distract etc…
    I went through the rules when the incident happened. I was looking for something in the interim.
    Yes, a bit of a surprise but not really as there has been such an influx of GPS devices in the last five years, so maybe the LTSA clamped down.

Oscar
    Participant

I didn’t know that.
    I used a GPS as a speedo for a week just before New Year as the sensor packed up on my 950.
    It seemed a more than suitable replacement, i wonder why the feds don’t like it?

Removed User

<cite> @Oscar said:</cite>
    I didn’t know that.
    I used a GPS as a speedo for a week just before New Year as the sensor packed up on my 950.
    It seemed a more than suitable replacement, i wonder why the feds don’t like it?

No idea really but I thought about it recently as I was in the market for a bike that had a dud speedo?
    Once I found out this, I passed on the bike. It was too costly to repair/replace.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.