fbpx

GPS Navigation

Home Forums General Discussion Gear GPS Navigation

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jake Maryniak
    Participant

I don’t know if this has been asked, but here it goes:
    Does anyone use either their Apple Iphone maps or Samsung Google maps for navigation on their bike? Or do people generally go to a Garmin or Tomtom GPS Navigation device? I have a iPhone 8plus with bar mounted RAM mount but can’t decide whether I want to splashout extra cash for a Motorcycle dedicated GPS unit

ChrisCole
    Participant

I use oziexplorer on a cheap chinese gps with NZ topo maps, I have a Garmin Montana but havent got my head around it yet

Daniel Fisher
    Participant

I’ve just used a Samsung Phone for my navigation for the past few years as I can’t bring myself to buy a gps yet, and I get by just fine. A phone will also have more features/versatility than a gps unit and be faster (it’s a phone) but not designed for the task so there are draw backs. I use Google Maps (with offline maps) for road use, New Zealand Topo Maps Pro (with offline topography maps) for offroad navigation, .gpx logging and exploring terrain on the go and Rever to track ride progress/compile map of ride. One thing you will need if using for any length of time is a 5v power supply from your bike as will drain the phone fast while navigating/tracking.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    ljhfarm
    Participant

Has anyone got or thinking about a garmin GPS with inreach? i.e GPS 66i or montana 700i I would be interested in comments on either. Cheers

Peter Wiles
    Participant

Just bought a Garmin Zumo XT and have just finished fitting it to my CB500XT. Can’t comment yet on performance, since I haven’t yet used it on or off road, but it seems very intuitive. Screen is bright and onscreen instructions clear and logical.

Only downside so far is the clumsy mount, that has to be modified if you need to mount the unit on the small bar behind the screen.

Pete W

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.