fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Gravel / Off Road riding skills videos.

Home Forums Riding Riding Skills & Safety Gravel / Off Road riding skills videos.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Found a good video for developing riding skills off the seal? share it here.

I’ll start with these

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Here’s a good diagram about correct riding position for cornering on gravel and loose surfaces and how weight should be applied to your footpegs.

harrywatson
    Participant
    • Bike: DR650

Hey Eddie great post, I abandoned a ride because the gravel was too deep. I didn’t have a good gravel confidence at that time. That was to Otahome Beach in Wairarapa. It was steep ‘gravely’ and it was a narrow road. There was a sheer drop to my left with very few ‘pull-offs’. To be honest I was scared and turned back. I’d been climbing a hill and found a way back down. An SUV came past me and I thought that if it had been in front of me I would have lost my bike or my health. If you ‘bail’ or ‘opt out’ it’s not always a bad thing. That feeling of ‘discomfort’ should be recognised and not put down to bad riders or fearful riders. The SUV took the whole road and put me in a drain. If I’d been going up, Myself and my bike would have been tumbling down a 75 degree rock face.
    Well then ‘Happy Day’

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@harrywatson said:
    I abandoned a ride because the gravel was too deep. I didn’t have a good gravel confidence at that time. That was to Otahome Beach in Wairarapa. It was steep ‘gravely’ and it was a narrow road. There was a sheer drop to my left with very few ‘pull-offs’. To be honest I was scared and turned back. I’d been climbing a hill and found a way back down. An SUV came past me and I thought that if it had been in front of me I would have lost my bike or my health. If you ‘bail’ or ‘opt out’ it’s not always a bad thing. That feeling of ‘discomfort’ should be recognised and not put down to bad riders or fearful riders. The SUV took the whole road and put me in a drain. If I’d been going up, Myself and my bike would have been tumbling down a 75 degree rock face.
    Well then ‘Happy Day’

Sorry Harry, only just saw this.

Being aware of your skills and experience in the conditions is a good skill to have. I’ve turned around more than once while out exploring on my own.
    There’s no shame in it and you live to ride another day.

stu coutts
    Participant

All well and good advice when one up on bike and I get that.
    However and I do think it’s a game changer when you are 2 up and pillion stays seated. I’m talking touring weights. This is our new “thing” to do and have done a little, but still learning and still trying to improve confidence levels in this area.
    Does rider stand up and do the counter lean etc..or should rider stay seated also for best control?
    I’ll eventually work it out no doubt, I’m thinking that it will probably be safer for both to remain seated.
    Interested in constructive feedback on this subject. Preferably from those experienced in 2up regular loose surface riding.
    Mid size bike 800cc.

stu coutts
    Participant

Watching one of your video links I found this, which kinda answers the subject for me.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.