fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Hamilton to Raglan via Old Mountain, and a nice GS

Home Forums Riding Events, get togethers and ride reports Hamilton to Raglan via Old Mountain, and a nice GS

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

I had a few hours spare today so jumped on the DR to see where I could get to and test how my energy and stamina were improving.

It started raining as I gassed up in Rototuna so I skirted the edge of the clouds and ended up heading from Te Rapa out to Te Kowhai. A bunch of random left and rights and somehow I ended up coming out on Whatawhata road, buggered if I know how I turned South but there were roads and houses where I had never seen roads and houses before so I got lost somewhere.

At WhataWhata I decided to give Old Mountain Road a go, the first ‘proper’ gravel I would have done in a while.
    Old Mountain was cleaned up with no issues and it was great to be back on a road that at least felt like it was miles off the beaten track.
    I’d had Glympse but hadn’t charged my phone properly before I left so had to turn it off as the GPS was chewing through the batteries.

You can’t really see it in this pic but you can see for miles from the top of Old Mountain Road.

The DR at the top of Old Mountain Road.

After Old Mountain the munchies set in so it was into Raglan for lunch. There were quite a few bikes around but no other adventure bikes.

Heading out of Raglan for home again I spotted a airhead GS 500 metres in front of me. Being the stalker I am I followed him as he turned off up a gravel road to where he parked outside a mates place.

We got talking and it turns out he owns a motorcycle dealership in Hamilton and recently traded the GS. Him and his mate and a couple of others were about to head out for a grave ride. I’d have liked to stay longer but had to get home to get a few things done on the sidecar project.
    This bike might be up for sale soon at a very respectable price, but then again it might not as he’s been enjoying riding it, a lot.

Today was a great ride, while not long I enjoyed it immensely and my energy and stamina levels were pretty good. This bodes well for longer rides in the future.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.