No products in the cart.

Home Forums General Discussion Chit Chat Hi from Germany!

This topic contains 15 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  ajgreen 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Dagmar
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW F800GS

Hi all,

I am Dagmar from Germany and I will visit New Zealand end of January for an 8 week motorcycle holiday. I must admit, my off-road experince is very limited… aarrgghhh, OK, non-existent. It is difficult to find legal roads in Germany. I did a bit of gravel in France, but really nothing to write home about. However, I will try to give it a go in NZ, for the fun of it, but also to be able to see all the nice spots I would love to see. So any advice is highly welcome…

I am currently in discussion with some dealers in the Wellington area for a used bike, that I can return after 8 weeks. I am looking for either a single or twin small BMW or similar with panniers and preferrably ABS (I assume that I will still do most of my miles on the road). Any ideas?

Can you recommend any hostels/backpackers or even name some to avoid? Also, if anybody is willing to meet up for a trip or two, I would really appreciate that!

Kind regards,
    Dagmar

PS: Any other lady drivers around?

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Hi and welcome Dagmar!

We have quite a few lady riders here but they are a very quiet bunch. I hope you get a bike sorted soon, which dealers are you talking to?

Jimmy @white-trash, anything you can help with?

Dagmar
    Participant

Currently I am in contact with Motomart and Red Baron. I still have 8 weeks to go, so I hope something suitable is coming up. I also look at TradeMe for private sales, but there I am a little unsure regarding selling the bike on again.

At the moment, everything is still a big puzzle…

Kind regards,
    Dagmar

Gremlin
    Participant
    • Bike: 2010 BMW R1200GS Adventure

I often look for backpackers via http://bbh.co.nz/ You can get a card for discounts (and not just accommodation) plus find places in an area, look at their ratings etc.

Re selling a bike, buy back is a good option for quick escape. If you’re trying to leave, but selling the bike privately, you have to hope that someone wants one and quick, or make it cheap so it’s snapped up faster. Bikes do sell better in summer than winter.

Chris Williams
    Participant

Hi

I live in the uk but have a daughter i visit in wellington. I own a BMW GS 650F which I keep in Wellington to ride on my trips over to NZ. I using it for 4 weeks 16 Dec2016 to 10 Jan 2017 to do some touring. Would you be intereted in using my bike for your trip.
    Cheers

Dagmar
    Participant

Hi Chris,

that would be awesome! I will send you a PN with my contact details…

Kind regards,
    Dagmar

Ingo
    Participant

Hi Dagmar

Kommst Du auch etwas weiter nördlich rum?
    Ich lebe in Hamilton, was central auf der Nordinsel liegt.

Gruß
    Ingo

Dagmar
    Participant

Hi Ingo,

schön von Dir zu hören! 😉

Yes, I planned roughly 4 weeks on the South Island and 4 weeks on the North Island. So I am sure to pass Hamilton, especially since I missed that part on my last travels to NZ…

Viele Grüße,
    Dagmar

Natalie
    Participant

Hello I’m from west coast of South island be keen to ride with ya when ur going past.

ElleOn2Wheels
    Participant

Hi Dagmar
    I’m from the UK, now living in Wellington, own a 250cc trail bike. You would be most welcome to stay with me if you’re passing by 🙂

You’ll find buying a bike is more expensive here in NZ, mostly because there is less choice.
    If seat height isn’t a big problem, consider a DR650 or KLR650 – popular dual sport bikes and cheaper than a BMW. I’d also recommend bringing a set of soft throw-over panniers with you, again, lots of choice on eBay which doesn’t exist in NZ.

Depending on where you go, most roads will be sealed with only back roads being gravel. The BMW, DR or KLR would handle them well & your confidence will grow as you travel.

Ride Safe
    Elle 🙂

Ingo Junge
    Participant
    • Bike: R1200GS

When you´re on the way up to Hamilton feel free to contact me if you like.
    Depends on the days I probably can offer a place to sleep and a shower. But need to sort it out as we have quite a few visitors between December and March.

Ingo Junge

Dagmar
    Participant

Hi Elle & Ingo,

thanks for your kind offers, I will be in touch closer ot the date…

Kind regards,
    Dagmar

OrangePeel
    Participant

Hi Dagmar
    I’m in Christchurch, and would be keen to ride with you on a weekend if you happen to be around here on one or at least point you in the direction of cool camping grounds!!! I note you didn’t mention tenting!! But the weather is really settled by then so it could be an option:) I ride a BMWf650GS:) I enjoy some basic offroad riding but haven’t done a lot, so just cruise it on gravel!
    Cheers Ginni

Dagmar
    Participant

Hi Ginni, hi all!

I finally got my bike sorted: It will be a 2012 BMW G650GS Sertao! I am soooo looking forward to it. I will be over from the 11h of Feb until Easter, so let’s keep in touch!

@Ginni: I must admit, camping is not really for me, I prefer a proper roof above my head. I think I will do Airbnb most of the time or backpackers…

Kind regards & a fantastic start to 2017!
    Dagmar

Dagmar
    Participant

Hi again,

I bought a bike now, it is a BMW G650GS Sertao. Really looking forward to picking it up on the 11th of Feb. I had to delay the trip a little bit, at the moment I am down with two ligaments torn in my ankle and a bit of bone chopped off. But it is going to be fine!

I will be in touch once I arrived…

Kind regards,
    Dagmar

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.