Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Honda CB500X

Home Forums Bikes Honda Honda CB500X

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: BMW R100GS, Ducati Mark 3 250 narrow case

The Honda CB500X has been around for a few years now but really was a road bike wearing ADV clothes due to it’s 17″ wheels front and rear and a general lack of ground clearance.

For 2019 Honda has done something to address this giving the CB500X 10mm longer suspension travel and a 19″ front wheel, these 2 combined will give the CB500X some much needed ground clearance and make riding bumpier terrain much easier.

There’s also been some subtle changes to the inlet and exhaust valve timing giving a 4% boost to power and torque between 3-7000rpm, a new exhaust that gives a more pleasing tone, a new LCD dash and new bodywork.

The exact specs are still to be confirmed by Honda, once we see them we’ll get this updated.

bikemerv
    Participant
    • Bike: Honda XR250L, Yamaha WR250F

Looks good, but please give us short arses a low seat height.

Brainflex
    Participant
    • Bike: CT110, Husky TE 250, DRZ250, CB500X

Sides of the seat are radiused to make it easier for you short arses.

OldBeer
    Participant
    • Bike: R1200GS, DL650, DRZ250, DRZ400S,

Happy with my dizzer at the mo but like the idea of this bike. No doubt many will point out faults but the original bike was pretty good and they have made changes reflecting what the aftermarket has been providing. If I ever go back to team red from team yellow, I think I would buy one of these before a 450 rally.

Still gonna get that RR kit @brainflex? Or wait and trade up???

Brainflex
    Participant
    • Bike: CT110, Husky TE 250, DRZ250, CB500X

Got the RR suspension n a few other bits fitted. Makes a huge difference but I do like the look of the new one especially that 19″ front.
    When we meet up next you can have a ride.

Peter Wiles
    Participant

Got a 2019 model in December 2019 (previously had Ducati Scrambler) and am well pleased, except for rear suspension, so I’m fitting a Nitron unit. Other extras are radiator shield, Hepco & Becker luggage and H & B lower engine bars. So far I’m pleased with its handling, on and off road, plus its economy at 90+mpg (sorry, British ex-pat and haven’t yet converted to l/100km, or whatever).

Peter Wiles
    Participant

Oh, and am still trying to decide on a TomTom Rider 550 or a Garmin unit!

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: BMW R100GS, Ducati Mark 3 250 narrow case

@Pete W said:
    Got a 2019 model in December 2019 (previously had Ducati Scrambler) and am well pleased, except for rear suspension, so I’m fitting a Nitron unit. Other extras are radiator shield, Hepco & Becker luggage and H & B lower engine bars. So far I’m pleased with its handling, on and off road, plus its economy at 90+mpg (sorry, British ex-pat and haven’t yet converted to l/100km, or whatever).

So that’s 90 imperial MPG given you’re a Pom which is almost 32 km/litre or 3.14 litres per 100km, which is bloody impressive!

Riding here is very different to the UK isn’t it. Just come back from England in time for lockdown myself after a year long motorhome trip over that way. No villages every 500 yards here.

Post a pic of your machine.

Peter Wiles
    Participant

Hi Eddie,

Riding in UK would depend on location. Once you’re in the north (ie. Durham backroads, Northumberland, Scotland, Scottish highlands & islands), then you can find isolation and empty roads/tracks. Yes, I am pleasantly surprised at how economical the CB500X is, regardless of how it’s ridden. I’ve attached a couple of photo’s – the other bike in the garage is my 1986 BMW R65.
    Oh, I also made a screen extension to eradicate buffet and noise – reasonably easy with a good heat gun and 3mm clear perspex offcut.

Cheers,
    Pete

Peter Wiles
    Participant

Hi again. Here’s photo of bike with bars & screen ext.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.