No products in the cart.

Home Forums Bikes Honda Honda CRF500 Rally twin cylinder

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Eddieb 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Several overseas magazines are suggesting that a 500 Rally is coming using the twin cylinder motor from the current CB500 range.

The current adventure model using the 500cc parrallel twin is the CB500X which puts out 47hp but weighs 195kg.

In the US 1 rider couldn’t wait and slotted the CB500 motor into a CRF250L chassis with an end result of 160kg.

Mark Claasen
    Participant
    • Bike: 1200GSA KLR650NE WR450 RMX250, DR750,

Now that would be something

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Unfortunately this isn’t a factory production model, though it should be.

Over in the US several people have squeezed the 500cc twin cylinder motor from the CB500R and CB500X into the CRF250L frame. Now someone has gone a step further and is fitting the 500 twin motor into a brand new 2017 CRF250 Rally.

A build thread is on advrider.com, and it looks sweet.

You can read the full build report at http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2017-crf500l-rally-build.1236985/

The stock CRF250L Rally

The finished product looks like it could be a factory build from the outside

Brainflex
    Participant
    • Bike: CT110, Husky TE 250, DRZ250, CB500X

I have followed the builds for these. There is also an English guy who built one and an Ozzie who has started. Looks like an awesome bike and would love one but laziness n cost of stuff in NZ mean I won’t get one.

Hadrian Haine
    Participant
    • Bike: 08 Husaberg FE 450 and a classic 86 Honda XLR250R

This bike really is the dream for many of us and all it would take is Honda corporate to see that it’s is what the CB500x should have been. I do wonder how it goes for traction as we know the singles hook up btter on the loose stuff. Would love one but having enough trouble keeping my current stable running, without a new bike build.

Brainflex
    Participant

Another build being done is the CBR300 engine into the CRF250L. Again a great idea that Honda needs to think about.

Papabendi
    Participant
    • Bike: KLX400R

It’s got to be heavier than a CRF500 but the Rally Raid conversion on a CB500X looks doable for anyone who has held a spanner before.

If you haven’t heard of them, Rally Raid is a UK company that supplies three kits in three levels that give the X some real off-road capability and turn it into a factory-quality mid-size adventure bike. It’ a good option for those without a spare CRF250 and/or CB500 engine to hand, or craftsman level skills.

Tests of the CB500 family usually say they are reliable and cheap but they generally don’t roll out the superlatives. That would make hyperbikes pointless… I rode A CB500X for 10 days around Thailand’s fantastic backcountry sealed mountain roads last year. If you think NZ’s roads are fun,Thailand’s are the same but in better condition and the bends go on for hours at a time. Anyway, I thought the bike was fantastic. The engine is low-stressed, torquey (sort of) and yet free-revving so it’s perky enough for the tighter stuff. It’s got enough to exploit fully yet nothing you have to be wary of, making for a ride that’s almost always in a sweet spot. It’s just such a natural and friendly thing to ride. Without having to fight or even persuade the bike in any way, it is so easy to enjoy the ride fully, going exactly where you want to go. So a great starting package – and cheap!

Rally Raid’s stage three kit includes wire wheels, (21 inch front), new mudguard, spring kit for the front forks and a new rear shock with remote reservoir which together give the bike 2 inches more suspension travel and a much more compliant ride. Also a proper bashplate, a beefier top triple clamp, bushings and fasteners etc. I’m sure I’ve left something out but the kit is focused on the basics. They re-use brake discs and cushdrive etc so there’s minimal waste. The guy who invented it took it across the Simpson Desert as a test (see Motorcycle Adventure Dirtbike TV on Youtube). Seemed to work perfectly, leaving the inventor plenty of time to work on the KTMs also on the ride. Another day, another KTM to fix.

I watched a Californian guy, Blancolirio, also on Youtube, build one up under a temporary awning in his garden – pretty good quality video – and he says it could be done in a weekend, probably one longish day if doing it a second time. And with his how-to video, even the fork build looks pretty straight-forward.the kit wouldn’t be cheap but a second-hand CB500X could be and doing this to it would give you a smooth, quiet, super-reliable, fun bike that a lot of people are hankering for, at manageable cost. And you can say you built it yourself. Or you could just buy a DR650.

OldBeer
    Participant
    • Bike: DL650, DRZ250, DRZ400S,

I don’t want one……

Brainflex
    Participant

Eddieb
    Keymaster

The problem with the CB500X is that it’s still a 195kg motorcycle, maybe more with a Rally Raid kit.

Papabendi
    Participant
    • Bike: KLX400R

Sure. I wasn’t pretending it could be a CRF, and weight is a weighty issue. It was weight above all that pushed me to my KLX (DRZ) but, seeing as Honda are not making CRF500s, the Rally Raid version might appeal to those who want more off-road capbility in a road-biased mid-size adventurer.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Hmmm, I like twin pipes

This build is being done with a CRF250L, not the rally.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.