How Much Luggage

Forums Forums General Discussion Gear How Much Luggage

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Zongie 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

neil.
    Participant
    • Bike: XT660R

So… how much stuff do people cart around with them for a non-camping trip ?, say a week (since its pretty much the same from there on in.)

I’ve been lurking some american forums, and some of them seem to take a horrendous amount of crap, Meanwhile i’m struggling to think of enough stuff to use up much more than a 30L bag plus tools.

ElleOn2Wheels
    Participant

The more space you have, the more stuff you take. I can get enough stuff on my Kawa 250 for a camping trip but when taking a much bigger bike with panniers, somehow I manage to fill them too.
    But I once had a 2 week Euro trip staying in hostels so only took a 30L holdall, a top box (for security) and a small tank bag for my camera, money and a map.

Dave Young
    Participant
    • Bike: KTM 50 SX 2018

@neil-2 I’ve just done a week two-up around the North Island taking a 30 litre Kriega Drypack containing essentials (spare clothes, wash-kits, etc.) and a small rucksac for waterproofs, puncture repair kit, iPad. It was largely an experiment to see how minimally packed I could get away with for a longer trip around the South Island.

neil.
    Participant
    • Bike: XT660R

thats roughly what i am hoping to get away with, a 30-35L waterproof bag, and maybe one smaller drybag for shoes / waterproof pants and whatnot.

Zongie
    Participant
    • Bike: 2015 Zongshen RX3

While I haven’t yet managed to do any trips longer than a weekend or Auckland to Wellington my bike related stuff is the same wether I’m riding to work everyday or from Dannevirke to Auckland.
    I have a tin of puncture repair gunk which gets changed every year, a decent toolkit (thanks Suzuki and Honda) a small first aid kit, a couple of protein bars and in my jacket a wallet and cellphone. I also carry a fully charged power/charger thingy.

I made a toolroll carrier out of plumbing bits and pieces from Mitre 10 and after it had been spray painted matt black it looks the part. To buy them from USA was big money so I took the Kiwi route. It is watertight (plumbing stuff usually is) and well out of the way, but still easy enough to get into.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.