fbpx

No products in the cart.

Home Forums General Discussion Chit Chat How to be safe when riding in remote area's

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Peter OSullivan
    Participant

I travel the country in my motorhome with my Yamaha XT250 on the back and over the last 2-3 years I have certainly started to head into very remote area’s.

I travel alone and so usually ride alone, no firm plans or to advise anyone of plans etc.
    Plus we all know plans can easily change.

I see the use of PLB’s mentioned in some ride info – recommend to take etc.
    I did a number of the Central Otago trails a coupe of years ago and things can certainly remote.

I am looking at adding to what I carry on my backback.
    even an emergency blanket, torch, lighter, cable ties, tape etc.?
    small but may be very essential if the worst happens

what type of PLB’s recommended and any “rules” to when you should or not use?

I do see there appears to be some GPS type trackers but I got no one to monitor it

any other options?

appreciate feedback

Peter

billnben
    Participant

Hi Peter,

Maybe take a look at the guidelines given by many of the tramping clubs. The group I go with usually take an EPIRB away from populated areas. I met some kayakers recently who had a satellite comms unit that allowed short texts to be sent when linked to a cell phone. Hunting and Fishing have them, and I am thinking of getting one myself.

I’d be interested in hearing more about your set up. I was able to put my little Honda on the back of a basic Bongo van and travel further afield, but having moved up to an XT250, it’s maybe a bit big and the carrier ends up a bit low. Hoping to move up to a proper motorhome too when dosh permits. I have put luggage on the XT from Happy Trails. Adds weight but is really useful.

Cheers

Bill

Peter OSullivan
    Participant

Hi Bill

thanks for reply
    see photo of my motorbike on the back of my motorhome.
    not a close up but you may get the idea.
    I use a ramp to get bike up and down.
    front wheel locks in to hold bike while doing the straps etc
    frame slides into box section on each side of the towbar mounting to chassis

Nelson
    Participant

Hey Peter,

That’s the perfect motor home 🙂

Garmin have something similar to what BILLNBEN mentioned. I think its on a high level as if you have a certain subscription you can even send sms using the satellite connection. Im not experienced on those but seems quit handy due to all capabilities and small size.

If you are looking for something cheaper you can get the one from KTI, which if not wrong there is no additional costs with subscription/registration.

keep us updated on what you have found.

Cheers Nelson

Nelson
    Participant

Hi BILLNBEN,

I had one on these in the past. In fact the photo with the Husaberg Fe350 is mine.
    you just need to have a 2″ tow hitch receiver in your car/truck and you are all good to go.

Doesn’t seem but it’s a very firm and solid rack. They also have one with a platform. with the jack you can drop or lift the rack with the bike fixed. Cant remember whats their weight limit.
    Mx Hauler is the brand…

billnben
    Participant

Hi Nelson,

I really like the look of that MX hauler kit. Looks like it lifts the bike well clear so you don’t get grounding when going up steep ramps. The one I used is the Slipstream, which looks like what Peter has. With a custom 2″ towbar on the Bongo it ended up quite low on the ground. Seen here with my previous high-powered Honda XR150.

I am going to try the Motolug collapsible trailer as an alternative while I still have the small van. According the the promo material it can be dismantled and put inside the van while one goes off on the trail to minimise risk of it being “liberated”. Will report when I have been able to try this. Will keep the slipstream carrier for now in case I upgrade to a big motorhome.

Also thanks for the tip about the KTI equipment. Will look into that. I believe you are right about the subscription with Garmin that only gives you a certain number of texts.

Cheers

Bill

enduro0627
    Participant

Just to get back to the topic of safety…
    Is there any interest in a project to make proper I.C.E. (In Case of Emergency) cards?

Credit card sized plastic card printed with the below on one side.
    Cardholder’s name, Cardholder’s Phone
    Emergency contact1, Relationship to contact1, Phone number of contact1
    Emergency contact2, Relationship to contact2, Phone number of contact2
    Medical information

ADV motorcycle riding relevant design but independent from sites, brands, social media groups on the other side.

After a quick look around looks like the cost, including posting within NZ, would be around:
    Not worth to start below 10 cards.
    $17/card if we order 10+
    $15/card if we order 20+
    $14/card if we order 30+

These are absolutely non-profit prices, covering only the production and posting.

Something similar to this just without branding:
    null

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.