I want a DR650

Forums Forums General Discussion Chit Chat I want a DR650

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  harrywatson 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

harrywatson
    Participant
    • Bike: DR650

Hi everyone, I’ve got a drz400, and I love it to
    bits, but after 26400 k’s only, I’ve decided the dr650
    would be better.

Has anyone else been through this d r dilemma?

I’m not asking which bike – it will be the 650.

Just asking if anyone has some storys or experiences
    with both bikes. ??

Attachments:

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

There’s a 650 for sale in our buy and sell section.

Addo007
    Participant
    • Bike: Dr650se

I was going through this same issue a few weeks ago, I own a drz400e and test rode a 2014 dr650 with the intention of doing the switch like you are talking. I really didn’t enjoy the 650 for some reason and stuck with the drz, last week I did 1500km around the east cape on the 400 and loved every minute of it, so for me I’m sticking with the 400

<cite>@harrywatson said:</cite>
    Hi everyone, I’ve got a drz400, and I love it to
    bits, but after 26400 k’s only, I’ve decided the dr650
    would be better.

Has anyone else been through this d r dilemma?

I’m not asking which bike – it will be the 650.

with both bikes. ??

leyton
    Participant

<cite>@harrywatson said:</cite>
    with both bikes. ??

Hello Harry

Having little experience with the DRZ400 but plenty with enduro/trail class bikes I can say that the DR650 is more road orientated then that DRZ400 just down to the larger motor, she will pull harder on the road. The trade off is, she is a little more clumsy off road.

The DRZ400 has it’s advantage on trails and the bush but if you are a gravel rider, or goat track rider the DR650 is the pack horse for the job ๐Ÿ™‚

The DR650 is very forgiving on the open road, stable enough on gravel to have a bit of fun, and more nimble than most bigger adventure bikes off road.

Cons:
    The only bits that really let the DR650 down in my opinion is the suspension, however all that can be changed and suited to the rider. To improve on this, most get an after market rear shock $850, and install shims in the front forks and change the fork oil weight. Makes a huge difference to offroad handling. On road stock is fine.. infact.. insanely forgiving around tight corrugated twisty!

BST40 Carb, Bolted on with emissions in mind, so it’s very lean out of the box. You almost need to wind the pilot adjustment all the way out in NZ. Up a jet size on the main, and the pilot gives her a bit more fuel, removing the strangling snorkel and the bike really comes back to life again, (Bit more too it then that), but you can get better function out of the BST40 by making a few minor, very safe tweaks that do not effect reliability.. in fact improve it.

The stock OEM seat can be a bit hard on that really long ride.. But hey! It’s a fricken adventure right ?.. Did not bother me, I just stood on the pegs from time to time like riding on a platform ๐Ÿ™‚ (The stock pegs are wide and comfy enough)

The real bonus’s are the simple nature of the machine, everything is very basic and reliable technology, this is what attracted me to the DR650. Suzuki designed the bike to be a work horse, the engine is right up there with being one of the most reliably built motors around (With the exception of the NSU sender).

The frames are “Good”, not to MX quality no.. but a good balance of weight and structure, very standard tube frame design.

I have, for sale. My 2005 DR650 K5, 50,000~km on the clock but with most of your typical stage 1 adventure modifications done to the bike without it loosing too much of the OEM look.

Feel free to flick me a message and we can exchange numbers if you want to know more about the DR in general or even if you are keen to have a looky at mine with no intent to pursue.. I don’t mind.

I’m in Hamilton, freely available over the next week if you wanted to come check it out. Do you work in town ? I see one just like yours parked at London Street down from my work ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers
    Leyton Smith

bart
    Participant

I went through the same thing a few years ago. Started doing more road (gravel) rides and less trail rides. The DRZ400E started becoming unbearable on longer trips. A lot of vibration. The real issue for me was the close ratio gearbox. I was forever swapping sprockets but could never find a combination that would do everything I wanted.

I had a drag against a mate on a DR650. He beat me just. We swapped bike…and he beat me again. Perhaps he’s a little lighter (or more agressive on the throttle). The bikes were identical.

So, I bought a DR650. First thing I noticed was the agricultural feel of the bike. Certainly not as nimble or balanced. Also there was no peaky top end. Once I learnt to change up the gears and ride the torque instead of ringing its neck, I found the power much more usable. The extra weight makes the bike more planted and stable on gravel. Way less vibration. The 650 is also surprisingly capable offroad…nah…who am I kidding. It’s a dog in the real tight stuff compared to the 400. As said above, needs serious suspension work for off road, but fine on gravel.

DRZ400 = Great trail bike. I’d get another one for offroad with short road sections. I found 300km days were enough.
    DR650 = Great all rounder. Capable in most situations and can carry more gear. 500km days are not a problem.

You’re obviously doing serious miles on your bike. Borrow someones 650 and try it out.

harrywatson
    Participant

Thanks guys that’s very useful

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.