fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Invisibility Training for Motorcyclists

Home Forums Riding Riding Skills & Safety Invisibility Training for Motorcyclists

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

This video contains great info that applies to car drivers being able to spot motorcycles better.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

The colour of your riding gear can also help you be more visible to other drivers.

OldBeer
    Participant
    • Bike: R1200GS, DL650, DRZ250, DRZ400S,

That’s a really good video. Best technical description I have seen of whats going on. Should be playing on loop all the time in motorcycle gear shops

Not so sure about the jpg below it though. Where did that come from? How were those numbers established? I can imagine green standing out in LA but perhaps not so well in Pureora. Got a reference Eddie or are you just trying to make a point about all black gear?

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@OldBeer said:
    That’s a really good video. Best technical description I have seen of whats going on. Should be playing on loop all the time in motorcycle gear shops

Not so sure about the jpg below it though. Where did that come from? How were those numbers established? I can imagine green standing out in LA but perhaps not so well in Pureora. Got a reference Eddie or are you just trying to make a point about all black gear?

I can’t remember where I found that now but I’ve read a few articles that supported it, though I don’t think the shade of green is properly represented. I think it’s supposed to be more of a flouro light green.

OldBeer
    Participant
    • Bike: R1200GS, DL650, DRZ250, DRZ400S,

There’s lots of discussion on this topic on the Aussie Netrider forum (and no doubt elsewhere) with one of the regular contributors something to do with one of the Aus road safety panels, so considers himself an authority. He doesnt think fluoro clothing makes enough difference as you cant see it at distance and that you cannot rely on it, which is fair enough. Debate gets quite heated at times!!!The seeing at distance thing has always seemed a bit irrelevant cos you’re not going to have a smidsy 426 feet away from the intersection. If there is some objective data somewhere on what colour is most often picked up at 4 feet away that would be a lot more useful wouldn’t it?

Seems to be one of those things that everyone has a different view of. There’s an argument that if they don’t see you then it doesn’t matter what you’re wearing.
    Personally I don’t usually wear a black riding jacket and my raincoat has fluoro yellow arms for the reasons Ryan noted in his video. But I know plenty of riders that wont be seen in anything but black. At the end of the day its a personal choice and for me defensive riding will make a lot more difference than wearing different clothing.

Here’s hoping you have safe riding over the break peoples!!

Eddieb
    Keymaster

How To Prevent Motion Camouflage While Riding Your Motorcycle

This article on the Motoress.com website covers what Motion Camouflage is and how to increase your visibility to other road users.

https://motoress.com/ride/motion-camouflage-riding-your-motorcycle/

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@OldBeer said:
    Personally I don’t usually wear a black riding jacket and my raincoat has fluoro yellow arms for the reasons Ryan noted in his video. But I know plenty of riders that wont be seen in anything but black. At the end of the day its a personal choice and for me defensive riding will make a lot more difference than wearing different clothing.

Here’s hoping you have safe riding over the break peoples!!

Yeah colour isn’t the Be All and End All of being visible, but I’ll take any help I can get. My riding gear is mostly black but as each item comes up for replacement I’ll be looking at what other colour options are available.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.