No products in the cart.

Home Forums Riding Where to ride Riding Overseas Ireland Goal

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Eddieb 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Tony Searles
    Participant
    • Location: 4 torvill and dean lane cashmere christchurch 8022 nz
    • Bike: suzuki dr650 k4 and xj900 yamaha 1987 and aprilia pegaso trail 2007

Hi . Just wondering if anyone has done Ireland ,Scotland, and Isle of Mann.My partner and I are planning a trip there in July 2019 and I plan to ship the old bush pig, DR650 K4 with lots of k,s on her.Cost to ship seams to be in the price range at about 900$ or air freight at 3200$ .We hace to crate and do customs clearing stuff and pick up , delv, etc,. but still seams a better option than hire @ about 6000$ for a CB500x per month from Celtic Rider in Ireland.Cheers.Tony

Attachments:

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

I lived in Dublin for 18 months, and another time in London for 2 years so I’ve driven around the UK a bit. While there I did the TT 3 times, once with a bike.

For sending a bike anywhere I’d recommend flying it over and shipping it back. While airfreight is expensive, shipping timetables are notoriously unreliable and there’s a dozen potential delay points on the way. You don’t want to lose half your holiday riding time because a wharf strike in Asia delayed your container by 2 weeks.

I’ve seen shipping crates come up on trademe occasionally or talk to your local bike shop.

Depending on what sort of riding you plan there the XJ might be a better choice, especially on your partners butt. The other option of course is to buy there. For $4k you could pick up an ok bike and even if you abandoned it there you’d still be even on the cost outlay.

I’ll be back over the way next year, though not riding unfortunately.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.