No products in the cart.

Home Forums Riding Events, get togethers and ride reports Kaukapakapa to Rawhiti to camp Easter Friday 14/04

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Scott Livingston 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Scott Livingston
    Participant
    • Bike: 2010 DR650

Hi. I’m planning a one and half day trip leaving Kaukapakapa Dairy 9am Friday 14/04 and heading up SH16 on to SH1, then out to Maungatoroto to ride the back roads to Moerewa before continuing to Rawhiti and Whangaruru North to camp for the night – just over 300km and around 6 hours riding.

Roads north of Maungatoroto will include Bull, Pikiwahine, Omana, Houtu, Wright, Pipiwai and Pokapu.

The DOC camp at Whangururu North is basic so you will need to be self-sufficient with tent, sleeping bag and cooker (if you want to eat/drink anything hot).
    http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/northland/places/whangaruru-north-head-scenic-reserve/things-to-do/puriri-bay-whangaruru-north-head-campsite/

On Saturday the plan is to ride south via Helena Bay and Opuawhanga on as much gravel as possible before popping out in Whangarei for a late breakfast or lunch. Here I’ll say ‘adios’ as I plan to stay the night with family 20 minutes south.

If you are interested in joining me for all or some of the Saturday plus Sunday morning riding – or have any advice about any of the Northland roads mentioned – please post a reply?

Note, this plan is based on the weather outlook not including rain and high winds, which if forecast will mean postponing this trip until the following Saturday and Sunday, staying at either Whangaruru or Oakura Bay holiday parks.

Scott Livingston
    Participant

This overnight camping trip up north is cancelled due to the weather forecast.
    The following weekend on the Saturday (again fine weather dependant) I’m likely to head down to New Plymouth via some gravel and stay in a hostel before checking out the National Junior Motocross Champs on the Sunday.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

A very good call I think.

Rob
    Participant
    • Bike: XRV 750

So when are you thinking you might get this happening?

Joao
    Keymaster
    • Bike: R1200GS

Hi Scott,

This could be tied into the track survey for the Labour day rally we are looking at doing.
    Do you have a planned track?

@enduro0627

Scott Livingston
    Participant

Hi Joao,
    I rode most of the planned Northland route as a day ride back in June leaving from and returning to 30km south of Whangarei.
    The roads I recommend (based on the criteria of being off the beaten track and including great scenery/views) include (heading north):
    Omana, Pukehuia, Houtu, Wright, Pipiwai, Pokapu
    From here you pop out in Moerewa, where I headed east to Kawakawa and the out to Waikare via Waikare Rd.
    The treasure road from here is Russell Road heading south east, which does turn to seal but is twisty so great fun to ride.
    You can then turn off and ride out to Ohawini Bay which is pretty cool as you need to ride on the beach and around a concrete road on a small rocky point to get there.
    From here head south to Helena bay on to Webb Road (gravel) which turns in to Kaikanui. The views north and east at the top of the hill just past the turn off to Mimiwhangata are out of this world!
    At the end of Kaikanui I turned right on to Pigs Head Rd (gravel) but if you turn left and head east then there are some great gravel roads heading south from Whananaki.
    Regards, Scott.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.