No products in the cart.

Home Forums Riding Where to ride Little Manuhara Rd

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  bart 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Alistair82
    Participant
    • Bike: 1995 XTZ660 Tenere

Hi everyone. Me and my Dinosaur of a Tenere are planning a trip from Wellys to Napier and doing it the back road style. i have a map that has Little Manuhara Rd on it and shows it is a 4×4 track.. how 4×4 is it and has any one done it? could a old Tenere make it? its not long but if it was going to be fun ill definitely do the detour to have a play

Scott Livingston
    Participant
    • Bike: 2010 DR650

Hi. Nothing of value to share I’m afraid other than if Little Manuhara is anything like Puketoi Road (which is a 4×4 track best ridden when drier) then you are in for a really great ride. Mike Hydes book of NZ’s best roads includes a Puketoi route which includes some of the best off the beaten track roads in this area between Paihiatua and Akitio.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

I did Little Manuhura years ago, it was relatively short with a fairly gentle slope and lots of tree roots but rideable on anything with decent ground clearance, even 2-up. That was about 5 years ago though.

I think I’ve got a GPS track and some pics of it somewhere but it would take some digging to find it.

@bart knows more about it and probably has pics somewhere.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Looking at Google Earth Little Manuhara might be a full on gravel road now.

bart
    Participant
    • Bike: DR650

Little Manuhara can get a little slippery when wet but shouldn’t be a problem. Watch for pinecones/branches on the track. My old stomping ground as the track runs along part of the family farm.

Take a look at Waihi Falls on your way through. Well worth the detour. As said, Puketio Road is also a must.

Let me know if you need more details of that area.

Bart

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.