No products in the cart.

Home Forums General Discussion Chit Chat Looking for places to take a junior beginner rider in Nelson

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Juno 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Needs Must
    Participant

HI, wondering if anyone could suggest any spots in the Nelson area I can take a 12 year old just coming to grips with the basics? We are looking for tracks that go somewhere on just not just riding in circles.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Hira Forest would probably be good, I believe there’s loads of tracks to wander around for all sorts of ability levels. Most other places are public roads and Maungatapu track can have some the odd tricky bit depending on recent weather and track state.

Needs Must
    Participant

Thank you for your reply.
    Yes that was my first thought too but unfortunately hira forest is closed to motorbikes at present due to fire danger. I have been thinking about the start of the maungatapu as well, he is a we way off heading through there yet but a bit of pottering around at the start of it might be OK.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Maungatapu is closed to cars so you wouldn’t really have to worry about traffic, maybe the odd other bike or quad but that’s it.

OH
    Participant
    • Bike: Ktm 690r enduro

Try rocky river in mot/ brook land valley. It’s the mt Campbell road. Plenty of options off the main drag. Need to watch out for vehicles. But pretty quiet when I’ve been there. Mainly easy firebreaks and forestry roads. Goldfields in takaka another great option. 26km loop. A bit of everything. But nothing to hard. If u over in golden bay. Pm me. Got a enduro trail bike track at home that loads of kids ride. My 11 year old always keen for a ride. Plus some neighbourhood options to extend the riding time. Cheers Ollie

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Juno
    Participant
    • Bike: 2012 BMW F800GS

Hi Needs Must,

Inwoods Lookout is back OPEN again now that logging has finished. I went up a couple of weekends ago. It is an easy gravel track up to the Lookout. There are some fun little side tracks if you want a bit more. Try and get it on a clear day because the view is spectacular.

Juno

Juno
    Participant
    • Bike: 2012 BMW F800GS

I went through Maungatapu track both ways on Saturday 1st Oct. Very wet day loads of fun. I am fairly new to Adventure bike riding and there were a couple of steepish rocky sections, these are mostly on the Nelson side. I didn’t even drop my bike once!!!!! Couple of almosts. The Marlborough side up to the saddle would be a good ride for a Junior. You could also stop in at Murderer’s rock for a cuppa and tell Junior the grisly tale of the locations name.

Juno

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.