fbpx

No products in the cart.

Home Forums General Discussion Chit Chat Lost Shim – Im an Idiot

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

D LUCAS
    Participant

hello everyone, before i start. yes i know i should ave just got the shop to do valve clearances. i was replacing my shims on my valves and have lost one in the engine some where. i purchased a retrieval tool with a magnetic tip no luck trying to find or retrieve it this way. i have used my phone video camera to try see if its anywhere to be seen on video as its hard to get your head in there and look. there is two places it might have gone. 1. into the piston chamber or 2. down into the engine. im about to release the oil see if this works. before i do and in case there is a technique to get it to the sum nut first. does anyone have tips on how to get this shim out of my engine with out pulling the engine apart.

regards, david

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Bugger my suggestion was going to be a flexi magnetic tool.

I fit a magnetic sump plug to all my bikes.

Attachments:

D LUCAS
    Participant

i think im gonna drain the oil over a magnet. after i shake up the bike a bit. try shake it to the sump. if this dont work. ill take the engine out of the frame.

southie640
    Participant

HI where about’s are you? I have an inspection camera that may you help locate it

D LUCAS
    Participant

central north island.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@D. LUCAS said:
    hello everyone, before i start. yes i know i should ave just got the shop to do valve clearances. i was replacing my shims on my valves and have lost one in the engine some where. i purchased a retrieval tool with a magnetic tip no luck trying to find or retrieve it this way. i have used my phone video camera to try see if its anywhere to be seen on video as its hard to get your head in there and look. there is two places it might have gone. 1. into the piston chamber or 2. down into the engine. im about to release the oil see if this works. before i do and in case there is a technique to get it to the sum nut first. does anyone have tips on how to get this shim out of my engine with out pulling the engine apart.

regards, david

So did you find it?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.