No products in the cart.

Home Forums Riding Where to ride Marokopa to Awakino

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  OldBeer 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

OldBeer
    Participant
    • Bike: DL650, DRZ250, DRZ400S,

I expected to find this road on the sites list of gps files but it isn’t. So if someone with a gps (that works) fancies a really neat ride, I suggest this one. It takes about an h our from end to end and if you had time there are things to see on the way. It’s in Mike Hydes book and is well worth the trip. Would be an easy round trip in a day, via Waitomo, Marokopa, Awakino and back to Waitomo. I can recommend the pies and coffee at Marokopa, Marokopa Falls and the natural arch just up the road. Presently looking its bucolic blossoming beautiful best.

If not, Ill get it next time….

Hadrian Haine
    Participant
    • Bike: 08 Husaberg FE 450 and a classic 86 Honda XLR250R

Not sure if I am looking at the right rout, but Google Maps is saying 1hour 26,
    Heading north on SH3 from Awakino, turning left onto Manganui Rd, at Waikawau, the Rd becomes Mangatoa Rd, us this the rout your talking about?
    Looks like an interesting ride and one can add in a small detour to the tunnel to a beach.
    Unfortunately I am still medically unfit to ride (or drive for that matter)

OldBeer
    Participant
    • Bike: DL650, DRZ250, DRZ400S,

Yes that’s the one. Took just over an hour to get from Marokopa to the junction with SH3, maybe 5 to 10 mins out of Awakino itself. And less than 20 mins from a whitebait fritter sandwich at Mokau…..

Its sealed for a lot of the way but there’s a substantial and very entertaining gravel bit in the middle. Views are nice.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.