No products in the cart.

Home Forums General Discussion Chit Chat Meyers Pass?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  RapidRob116 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

RapidRob116
    Participant

I tried to post this a short time ago, but it doesn’t seem to have made it to the forum, so I will give it another shot.

Can anyone tell me about Meyers Pass, heading SE from the Haka pass above Kurow? Seems to go all the way into Waihaorunga where it joins the “Serpentine Valley Rd.”

It looks nice a twisty – which means altitude changes… my kind of road. Question is, can it be ridden two-up on an F800GS? How about 2-up on an R12GS?

Thanks for the info!
    Cheers,
    Rob

George Drayton
    Participant
    • Bike: F800GSA

Hello Rob,

I have ridden this road many times in both directions on several bikes – the latest a month ago on a F800GS. I don’t think there would be any problems with two up on either bike. I usually ride through to Waimate from Kurow or vice versa. From Kurow you can follow the main sealed road and cross the bridge a few kms from the Hakataramea township/pub, or you can follow the shingle road on the south side of the river.

It is also a nice ride/north up the Hakataramea valley to the Hakataramea Pass and into the McKenzie Basin as well.
    regards
    George

RapidRob116
    Participant

George, thank you for the reply.

Your comment on riding from the McKenzie country is actually what the overall plan is. We are riding from Mt. Cook to Oamaru. I remember having been over the Hakataramea (I do believe it may have been on a Laverda SFC, but don’t tell anyone…. 🙂 ) but don’t recall if I have been over Meyers. Yahooo! Only 6 weeks or so before we get to come down and play.

Cheers,
    Rob

glitch_oz
    Participant

Hi

Yo, easy ride on just about any bike (bring that Laverda again :-))

Start at page 6 of this yarn for the Meyers…

http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4585&highlight=meyers+pass&page=6

Then keep going via the Danseys, the Horse Range Rd. and the Ramrock Rd. from the coast back to Middlemarch. Sweet!!

Might see you around there in March sometime, keep an eye out for a half-dozen Aussies on XT’s and DR’s
    🙂

RapidRob116
    Participant

Roger that! We will be in the area of Danseys, Meyers, etc… on the 23rd. Keep an eye out for a dozen bikes with Americans and Canadians!

We will keep an eye out for you all…..

glitch_oz
    Participant

<cite>@rapidrob116 said:</cite>
    Roger that! We will be in the area of Danseys, Meyers, etc… on the 23rd. Keep an eye out for a dozen bikes with Americans and Canadians!
    We will keep an eye out for you all…..

We should be coming out of the Catlins and going north on the 17/18th…that’d be a hell of an international party, hehe …. Got 5 nationalities in our little troupe.

RapidRob116
    Participant

21 Christchurch
    22 Mt. Cook
    23 Oamaru

So we might be catching you a bit further north….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.