No products in the cart.

Home Forums Riding Events, get togethers and ride reports Mountain Goating in the Himalayas

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  octopusenvy 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

octopusenvy
    Participant
    • Bike: 2102 Husaberg FE570 Rally Australia Bike, 2007 BMW 650 x-Challenge, 2009 Buell XP Ulysses Police Duty (1 of 137)

Kia ora koutou. I have been to India & Nepal in the past, and this will be my third trip there, but first trip by bike (not counting some very brief scooter riding). I have a mate already keen who is a crazy Sikh living in Singapore. We rode together in Europe last year, and he’s keen as mustard. Here’s the rough plan (changeable) for 2015 Himalayan Adventure…

1. Depart end of July to begin riding 1st of August from Delhi, return home beginning of Sept (6weeks total)

2. Head to Amritsar briefly and continue northeast towards Kashmir (awesome place)

3. Ride the high Indian Himalaya passes near Ladakh (of course Kardhung La @5300m) and head south east through more remote riding and passes.

4. Visit Manali/Manikaran for some crazy roads and then head east to Nepal. The Indian riding will be over roughly 21-25days UNGUIDED.

5. Ride Nepal, Mustang Valley, Muktinath, and parts of the Annapurna Highway. Lots of riding to be done in Nepal! This would take 14 days roughly.

6. Possibly attempt a brief visit to Bhutan. This involves significant cost per day, and a guide, but perhaps a once in a lifetime opportunity to ride to Thimphu and back out via Paro. This includes a significant ride through Sikkim to get to the main road boarder. Only a couple days in Bhutan if done, and likely 3-4 getting there and back into India.

7. Put bikes on train and head back to Delhi. This assumes the bikes are rented. If purchased, they can be sold or donated. Bikes on trains is not uncommon, and with a bit of planning is very possible and a much better/faster way to maximise riding and return to Delhi.

Lots of variables, but the main one is that we are not interested in riding Enfields. Sure they’re iconic. They’re also totally unsuited to much of the terrain and overpriced to rent/buy. We are looking at Hero Impulse 150cc which are an enduro style bike and have already been ridden on trips like this by an Aussie pro rider who rated them highly. No need for high cc or high speed in 90% of the places ridden. The bike can take panniers, or soft luggage but not stupid amounts of weight. Hopefully they are able to be rented from Karol Bhag in Delhi (bike central). Here’s a link to the bike:

I have purchased return tickets to Singapore to meet my friend, but direct flights are around 1200NZD return currently via Australia. The bikes should be had for no more than 1500NZD and likely less. Food is dirt cheap as is petrol. I am budgeting $4500NZD for the entire trip for all costs.

So that’s it. We’re looking for other keen adventurers. We wouldn’t say no to people, but its ideal if you have some riding or mechanical experience, and are keen on an adventure. India is an assault on the senses, and both shocking and beautiful at the same time. ALWAYS. A place you will never forget if you come. Let me know, namaste.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.