No products in the cart.

Home Forums Riding Where to ride Must see places and roads?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Eddieb 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Scott Owen
    Participant

I’m heading over from Aus and hiring a DR650 for 6 days from Auckland on Friday. Just wanting some local knowledge on places worth going while I’m there, and maybe some places to avoid.

Cheers

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

How far from auckland are you wanting to go in that 6 days, just day trips or a 6 day tour, and are there any restrictions on where you can take the bike?

Scott Owen
    Participant

6 day tour with a tent. Doing a loop and ending up back in Auckland. Not any restrictions, except I doubt I’ll be riding on the beach.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

You could try what these comrades of yours did heading North: https://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/forums/topic/northland-cruising-on-110cc/

Though you’d probably so it a bit quicker than them.

Otherwise put a loop heading south together and around the coromandel. When I’ve got a bit more time I’ll make some suggestions.

It’s shame you aren’t coming 3 weeks later, you could have joined us at this: https://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/events/241/2016-adventure-riding-nz-central-plateau-not-a-rally-weekend/

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Sorry Scott, this slipped my mind for a few days.

I’d say make your way down the West Coast via Port Waikato to Raglan then down to Kawhia. Carry on linking the tracks and backroads together to Kiwi Road then link some more backroads together to get onto SH43 the Forgotten highway west of Whangamomona.

Takes SH43 East to Taumaranui. From there depending on your riding skill (intermediate) take Hikumutu Road and other backroads down to the West end of Fishers Track or (Experienced) take Hikumutu Road to Owhango then the 42nd traverse. The 42nd has one steep rock wall that has to be climbed in it’s center that can be difficult.

From the end of either of those options make your way to Taupo then via backroads to the West end of SH38 around Lake Waikaremoana.

After SH38 head North to The Motu Road. From teh Motu go into sightseeing mode and cruise up to and around the Coromandel Peninsula, if time allows head up to Fletchers Bay for a night

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.