No products in the cart.

Home Forums Sidecars Sidecar Builds Need Sidecar help

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Old Slider 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Old Slider
    Participant

Looking for someone or somewhere to deliver my 5 yr sidecar project. This outfit needs to be finished before my grandkids who were too young to start school when I started this idea of having a hack are now approaching the Standards. I would dearly like it finished before they become parents, lol.
    A 1999 Kawasaki W650 is the bike and I have a partially completed chassis and subframe that needs tidying up and finishing. The Chassis was designed and partially built by a former sidecar racer and builder of successful chairs, but his age and commitments mean he is unable to do anymore.

Box.a.Bits
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW Supertanker, R100GS & Velorex 562 Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200

What needs to be completed & where about are you located? I can see the obvious lack of a guard & wiring, but it does look like the majority is all there?

Have you ridden a sidecar before?

Old Slider
    Participant

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I am in Wanganui. The chassis and the connecting components from chassis to bike need finishing, the subframe needs some slight alterations (subframe needs another attachment point onto frame up closer to the neck/head) and needs finishing. I really need an engineer/welder type person or business to finish this off, I have very limited skills.

I have ridden this bike around the neighbourhood with it attached and it handles ok (was a bit light with no body or any ballast on the chair side, lol) . The guy (a sidecar racer and builder Roger Stent) who built this chassis and set up the suspension with the wheel and shock that I supplied said it handled really well when he rode it to my place.
    I raced speedway sidecars for a few years, but have only a little road riding experience with the chair.

Box.a.Bits
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW Supertanker, R100GS & Velorex 562 Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200

May pay to a have a chat with your local LVVC (Low Volume Vehicle Certifier) Grant Rivers 06 345 4402 about your plans. He may have some local industry contacts that may be able to help, & some solid pointers as to what would be required to get the rig certified.

Sorry I can’t offer any more solid help.

Old Slider
    Participant

Cheers mate,

I was going to remove the chair for obtaining warrants and not worry about certification, lol

I know Grant, so may go have a chat. I actually have a complete Velorex sidecar with screen, canopy etc but they sit way to high off the ground for my likes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.