fbpx

No products in the cart.

Home Forums Sidecars Sidecar Builds Need Sidecar help

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  3Pattes 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Old Slider
    Participant

Looking for someone or somewhere to deliver my 5 yr sidecar project. This outfit needs to be finished before my grandkids who were too young to start school when I started this idea of having a hack are now approaching the Standards. I would dearly like it finished before they become parents, lol.
    A 1999 Kawasaki W650 is the bike and I have a partially completed chassis and subframe that needs tidying up and finishing. The Chassis was designed and partially built by a former sidecar racer and builder of successful chairs, but his age and commitments mean he is unable to do anymore.

Box.a.Bits
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW Supertanker, R100GS & Velorex 562 Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200

What needs to be completed & where about are you located? I can see the obvious lack of a guard & wiring, but it does look like the majority is all there?

Have you ridden a sidecar before?

Old Slider
    Participant

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I am in Wanganui. The chassis and the connecting components from chassis to bike need finishing, the subframe needs some slight alterations (subframe needs another attachment point onto frame up closer to the neck/head) and needs finishing. I really need an engineer/welder type person or business to finish this off, I have very limited skills.

I have ridden this bike around the neighbourhood with it attached and it handles ok (was a bit light with no body or any ballast on the chair side, lol) . The guy (a sidecar racer and builder Roger Stent) who built this chassis and set up the suspension with the wheel and shock that I supplied said it handled really well when he rode it to my place.
    I raced speedway sidecars for a few years, but have only a little road riding experience with the chair.

Box.a.Bits
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW Supertanker, R100GS & Velorex 562 Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200

May pay to a have a chat with your local LVVC (Low Volume Vehicle Certifier) Grant Rivers 06 345 4402 about your plans. He may have some local industry contacts that may be able to help, & some solid pointers as to what would be required to get the rig certified.

Sorry I can’t offer any more solid help.

Old Slider
    Participant

Cheers mate,

I was going to remove the chair for obtaining warrants and not worry about certification, lol

I know Grant, so may go have a chat. I actually have a complete Velorex sidecar with screen, canopy etc but they sit way to high off the ground for my likes.

rtr_senior_rtr_senior
    Participant

Slow progress but its on the move again. After doing a few laps around the local streets etc I decided the chair to bike attachment points needed some improving and the trial subframe that was tacked together worked fine, so a new one that blended in with the bike is being built.

If any of you sidecar enthusiasts see potential problems please speak up.

3Pattes
    Participant

Looks good so far!
    this can be done easily if you feel it heavy to drive for a long time These pictures might help. .

Old Slider
    Participant

Thanks mate, That’s good advice, I am keeping an eye out for some damaged forks to hopefully make leading link front forks.

Just getting the attachments sorted is bad enough. Trying to do it from looking at what ever I can find is proving challenging.

3Pattes
    Participant

You’re welcome.
    Don’t worry be happy, it’s part of the fun…..
    install everything on a flat surface in order to see how it looks and be able to measure where exactly it has to be; post a picture of the initial set up.
    First step: tie to the ground the front and the back of the bike sitting on it (without the stand), that will give you the final height of the frame, make sure it sits strait; bring the chassis next to the bike, and determine the exact position of the sidecar wheel, tie the shock absorber half way, make sure chassis is levelled .
    Then and only then, you will be able to figure out where and how to attach and start fab…
    See the blue tie down on this picture.

Attachments:

Old Slider
    Participant

Just fitting lights and will try for certification before painting the chassis etc and finish the wiring, will have a plug for electrics so can remove chair from bike easily for warrants, just incase certification proves too difficult.

3Pattes
    Participant

Cool! Did you have a chance to drive it so far and if so how does it handle ?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.