fbpx

No products in the cart.

Home Forums General Discussion Gear New Aldi motorcycle clothing range launched

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I’m surprised we don’t have Aldi in NZ, if you’ve ever been to Australia or Europe you’re quite possibly familiar with the chain, they sell groceries and all sorts of other bits and bobs and have been randomly getting shipments of motorcycle gear into their stores.
    It seems there’s been enough demand for Aldi to launch it’s own branded range of bike gear.

From: http://www.visordown.com/product-features/new-aldi-motorcycle-clothing-range-launched/26309.html

DISCOUNT supermarket chain Aldi has just announced it’s new motorcycle clothing range will be in stores on March 8.

Available while stocks last, the new range includes a men’s protective textile motorcycle jacket (£79.99) and trousers (£59.99), both of which fulfil the highest European safety standards.

The jacket and trousers pass the requirements for impact abrasion and impact cut resistance demanded by the EN13595-1: standard Level two. In addition, they exceed the requirement for impact abrasion (seven seconds), achieving over 13 seconds of abrasion resistance over the entire garment.

Aldi’s Motorcycle Gloves (£19.99) feature carbon fibre knuckle, finger and thumb protection, as well as a cowhide leather outer shell, Kevlar palms and a Thinsulate™ lining.

The range also includes Touring Boots (£29.99), motorcycle socks (£3.59), a motorcycle rain jacket and rain trousers (£17.99 each), a base layer (£9.99) and a neck warmer (£2.99).

John Chatterton-Ross, Director of Public Affairs, Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM) said: ‘This is the first time I’ve seen a UK retailer selling a motorcycling jacket and trousers of this high standard at such low prices.

The protection offered by Aldi’s products exceeds the requirements for impact abrasion and impact cut resistance demanded by the EN13595-1:2002 European standard for zones 1 and 2 in ALL zones. Few products on the market can match this. Often, even in premium brands, it is only the protectors that are certified, not the rest of the garment.

FIM worked with CEN, the European standards organisation over the many years it took to establish these standards for rider safety. It is great to see that with Aldi’s motorcycling jacket and trousers, safety does not have to come with a high price tag.’

Full range and prices:

Motorcycle Cover – £8.99

Motorcycle Lock – £8.99

Men’s Motorcycle Jacket – £79.99

Men’s Motorcycle Trousers – £59.99

Motorcycle Compression Base Layer – £9.99

Motorcycle Gloves – £19.99

Motorcycle Hi-Vis Vest – £12.99

Motorcycle Rain Jacket/Trousers – £17.99

Motorcycle Socks – £3.59

Motorcycle Wind Protection Accessories – £4.99

Motorcycle Wind Protection Base Layer – £9.99

Multi-Functional Neck Warmer – £2.99

Motorcycle Tank Bag – £12.99

Touring Boots – £29.99

Brainflex
    Participant
    • Bike: CT110, Husky TE 250, DRZ250, CB500X

Aldi does some fantastic deals with reasonable quality stuff, shame they don’t do mail order.

Removed User

DISCOUNT supermarket chain Aldi

The Marks and Sparks of the UK riding fraternity…Looks okay. Ikea meets Spidi!

Eddieb
    Keymaster

From: http://www.visordown.com/product-features/first-impressions-review-aldi-textile-motorcycle-jacket/26378.html

First impressions review: Aldi textile motorcycle jacket

I’VE been using this jacket since it Aldi sent it to us a couple of weeks ago, and it’s not at all bad for the low price of £80.

It’s part of a range of Aldi motorcycle gear on sale now while stocks last.

As textile jackets go, it seems like one of the most protective I’ve seen, and it’s said to fulfil the highest European safety standards. It’s well fitted in the arms, not too baggy like some textile sleeves, so the elbow and shoulder armour has a fighting chance of staying over your elbows and shoulders in a crash.

The back protector feels as tough as a Roman shield and the outer fabric looks like it has some real abrasion resistance. There’s an extra tough section running up the backs of the arms and over the shoulders, of reassuringly thick fabric.

It doesn’t look bad. Alpinestars doesn’t have much to worry about but you won’t stand out at the bike meet as the bloke in supermarket kit

It’s got lots of external pockets, which is handy, and some reflective piping for car drivers who can only see glowing things.

It won’t replace my favourite jacket because it’s too stiff. It feels a bit like wearing a heavy cardboard box. The sleeves, while snug enough, are a little too long on me and the thick back protector feels like a surfboard.

Also, the lining is non-removable and not very thick. I’ve been using it on a town commute in mild winter temperatures and it’s been fine. I worry that it will be too cold in more extreme winter temperatures and too warm in summer, although it does have zip air vents.

But if I was doing a motorway commute, as a I have in the past, I think I would give it a chance at this price, and get the textile trousers that zip to it as well, for another £60. Both are described as waterproof. It’s been dry when I’ve used the jacket so I can’t currently vouch for the claim.

If we give it the benefit of the doubt, that’s £140 for a full waterproof textile suit, something that could easily cost several times that from one of the well-known brands.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.