fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

New Chain and sprockets for my DR650

Home Forums Bikes Suzuki New Chain and sprockets for my DR650

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

What’s a new chain and sprocket set going to set me back these days and whats best to get for cost vrs durability?

I have no idea whether my current set is original or not. The DR had 9000km exactly on it when I got it and now at 26,000km the chain is quite stretched after a decent ride. I’ll probably stick with the 15/43 gearing I currently have in 525.

On the Colemans website they make a big deal about JT sprockets being better than everything else, are they?
    http://www.colemans-suzuki.co.nz/products/683-spares_chain_and_sprockets/2939-jt_sprockets_front.aspx

Aand what sort of chain do I get, RX-ring, XW-ring? last time I bought a chain O-ring, X-ring and no ring were about all the options.

@nordieboy
    ? anyone else?

NordieBoy
    Participant
    • Bike: DR650

The last 525 chains I used were $150 RK XSO that lasted about 14,000km on average.
    JT sprockets seem to last the best of the 3rd party ones. The factory ones are the best though.
    The stock DID VM2 chain also lasts the best.

BUT…

A sprocket/chain set from JT/RK is half the price of a Suzuki sprocket/DID chain set.

Day to day, I run the equivalent of 14/43. 4,500rpm @100kph. In the meat of the torque @110kph.

I get 12-14,000km out of a JT sprocket set (15/46) and EK 520 SRO chain and the total cost is about $200.

O-ring/x-ring/rx-ring etc, just mean the fancier the letters the less friction. Nothing to do with strength.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

Thanks @nordieboy. I just ordered a set of JT Sprockets and a chain via Boyds in Hamilton. I’ve decided to go back to 15/41 gearing for a while as the riding in the Waikato for the most part is very open as opposed to the tighter stuff I was doing in Wellington when I put the 15/43 gearing on.

I’ve stuck with 525, I’m not sure what the diffrence in going to 520 is except maybe a few grams lighter, but in theory by the same token the 525 is presumably a fraction stronger.

If I need too, like for when we tackle Vandy Road later in summer I have a 14 tooth front I can put on.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.