Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

New to me Suzuki DR650

Home Forums Bikes Suzuki New to me Suzuki DR650

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Gerrie Jacobs
    Participant
    • Bike: DR650

Hi all

After a bit of an absence from riding I purchased a well looked after DR650 off of a friendly fellow on TradeMe with 35,000km on the odo.

Not much as been done to it, Ventura pack rack, B & B bash plate, after market exhaust and a small windscreen. The NSU has also been loctited and it has a choke knob on the carb itself.

It seems to still be on the original chain and sprockets, so that is first on the shopping list as well as some new cushdrive rubbers, then a long list of other tasty bits I saw on the Pro Cycle’s website. Will also need to do an oil change.

I only have the TradeMe photos at the moment, will take some new ones soon.

I strippped it down a bit last weekend, greased a few things, sanded down the header pipe and resprayed it with exhaust paint. Makes it look a whole lot better.

Here’s to many safe miles in the saddle.

OldBeer
    Participant
    • Bike: R1200GS, DL650, DRZ250, DRZ400S,

Welcome!

There must be a majority of owners on here with DR650s by now…obviously a great choice. Let the farkling commence….pictures always appreciated.

Whereabouts are you based?

Gerrie Jacobs
    Participant

Thanks OldBeer.

Based in Hamilton, there are quite a few nice roads in the Waikato. Love the Waikato!

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

Welcome. Lots of DR’s around.

Beware of Procycle, thats dangerous territory to get sucked into. Before you know know you’ve max’d out the credit card and there’s still things you absolutely MUST! have.

Gerrie Jacobs
    Participant

<cite> @Eddieb said:</cite>
    Welcome. Lots of DR’s around.

Beware of Procycle, thats dangerous territory to get sucked into. Before you know know you’ve max’d out the credit card and there’s still things you absolutely MUST! have.

Thanks Eddie. Yeah I am trying to resist the temptation.

It was the same with my previous motorcycles, always farkling up a storm.

What do reckon are the must haves on the DR?

I am pretty sure the bike is a keeper so will take my time with doing the things I want/need ?

Joe Moreton
    Participant
    • Bike: Huskvarna 701 Enduro

Hi Eddie, looks like a nice clean bike. May I suggest Barkbusters, wider footpegs (maybe Pivot Pegs) and depending how far you’re going a seat upgrade (Sargent my rec) and an Acerbis 20 litre fuel tank for a handy 350km range. Personally I’d leave the engine/airbox stock for best fuel economy and reliability. Oh, and maybe some double-take mirrors. The originals are history after the first little lie-down. Just my $0.02 worth. Great bike, just go ride! Cheers, Joe

Joe Moreton
    Participant
    • Bike: Huskvarna 701 Enduro

Sorry should have addressed last post to Gerrie Jacobs

Gerrie Jacobs
    Participant

<cite> @Bearbob said:</cite>
    Sorry should have addressed last post to Gerrie Jacobs

That’s okay Joe I knew you were talking to me ?

Yes not going to do anything to the engine, it does have the noisy exhaust which I like and the performance is fine for me as is.

Definitely will fit some Barkbusters with some good handlebars, apparently the original ones are made of cheese. Seat maybe in the future, I had a DRZ400SM years ago and did 400km days on it, granted had a bit of a sore butt, but I survived.

Big fuel tank, in the future too, for now will probably just strap a 5 liter can on the back if needed. The budget doesn’t strech to all the wants at the moment ?

Just need to get out and ride it a bit now!

Gerrie Jacobs
    Participant

Got myself one of these manuals, seems very extensive!

Gerrie Jacobs
    Participant

Some more goodies courtesy of Boyd Suzuki in Hamilton. Kieren is always very helpful, I have been a customer of his for more than 10 years.

Front sprocket shaft seal retainer
    Cush drive rubbers
    Oil filter, assorted o-rings and sump plug washers

Next I will order a new chain with a standard set of oem Suzuki sprockets, need to save up first. Then I will look at new handlebars and barkbusters. Once all the parts are accumulated I will start fitting them.

Went for my first ride yesterday with the bike as is, to be honest the aftermarket pipe is a bit loud, might consider fitting the standard one instead.

The ride was from Hamilton to Bridal Veil falls then on the the gravel to Kawhia, from there to Oparau and Pirongia West road to Pirongia and back to Hamilton, was a bit chilly but a good bloody ride with my brother in law on his XT1200, I had one before the DR, good bike but just to heavy for me! DR fits me like a glove!

Two other additions of the weekend was a new HJC helmet, bottom of the range, my old one also a HJC is 13 years old and it was time to replace it, the second addition was a Sena 20S purchased from a mate who bought a dual pack, used one a few times and never again, my brother in law and I purchased it for the grand some of $400, and for all practical reasons they are brand new, bargain of the century, I have always wanted one but could never justify the cost.

Some photos:

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

I’ve considered going from my DR to an XT, health reasons mean I can’t do the riding I used to on my DR, so I’ve considered swapping for something for road and open gravel friendly.

Gerrie Jacobs
    Participant

<cite> @Eddieb said:</cite>
    I’ve considered going from my DR to an XT, health reasons mean I can’t do the riding I used to on my DR, so I’ve considered swapping for something for road and open gravel friendly.

The XT is an awesome bike but the weight is appaling, when it is going it is fine, as soon as it is standing still or you have to maneuver it around the weight is an issue, i dropped it ones and nearly popped a vain in my head picking it up, the DR is refreshing!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.