No products in the cart.

Home Forums Sidecars Sidecar Chat New to Sidecars

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  saltyseal 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

saltyseal
    Participant
    • Bike: 91 BMW R80S Mono

Hi All.
    I am hoping to buy/build myself an outfit to get back into the saddle and enjoy the awesome NZ back-roads with my wife in the chair.
    I have owned and ridden all sorts of bikes over the years, but now I have lost the sight in my right eye I am uncomfortable with riding a solo machine (Life saver over the right shoulder now very difficult without wobbling the bike).
    Any advice or info on bikes/outfits would be greatly appreciated, and I look forward to some pleasant outings. Based in Taranaki we have done quite a bit of exploring locally, and we love the tiny unsealed roads and in particular the routes through some of the impressive stock tunnels in the region.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Hi and welcome Saltyseal

What bike do you have in mind to attach the sidecar to if you build?
    As of November 1 2015 Sidecar build now require certification so bear that in mind as an extra step and cost.

Eddie

saltyseal
    Participant

Hi Eddie
    Thanks for the welcome.
    I’m fairly open minded about the bike, but a shaftie would be nice. A beemer would be my first choice probably (one of the few brands I’ve not owned before), but will consider most things other than a real heavyweight. The combo has to be something which will be a real hobby/toy, and some work to update/improve will be welcome. I have been checking out Turners auctions for bikes with front end damage (thinking – leading link replacements) but the cash is not quite in place yet.

Box.a.Bits
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW Supertanker, R80 & Velorex Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200

Hi Salty,

I have an R80 (now R100) combo’d with a Velorex sidecar. Eddie’s old sidecar. It’s huge fun in gravel, & I’m enjoying it heaps. Only had it since Aug, so I am by no means an expert in them. My wife & daughter are also enamoured with it.

Sidecars are quite a different proposition to drive than a solo. You need to match the sidecar weight to the tug. The R80 & Velorex is a reasonable mix – the chair is pretty lightweight, which is good for off seal. But a more powerful bike would overwhelm it. The handling is fundamentally unbalanced. But the challenge of punting it along is part of the attraction.

They (sidecars) are a reasonably rare beast in NZ AFAIK. That said, there are a few other sidecars I’m aware of down here in Wellington, & a few people that are talking about maybe building one. Don’t look to own one unless you are a reasonable extrovert. I’ve had people hanging out of cars taking photos, & you seem to get a good vibe from most people. My Bro has asked me to take the chair up for his wedding – I think they are using it for the wedding photos…

You don’t necessarily need leading links straight up. Some bikes take to sidecars better than others. Look for a double cradle frame. Have a look in hacks on ADVrider, & (if you are on it) on Facebook

saltyseal
    Participant

Hi B.a.B.
    Thanks for the input. I’m not looking to rush into anything, and all advice is welcome. Your rig sounds exactly the kind of thing I can visualize for myself.
    I shall be looking all over (and under a few rocks too) including FB and Trade Me.
    Cheers.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Where are you SS? You can fill that out in your profile.

Friends have this for sale.

SOLD: Classic Yamaha XJ750 for sale, great scrambler project or sidecar tug

saltyseal
    Participant

That would certainly be of interest. I am in Taranaki, so not so far away.
    Do you have more detail etc? or can you put me in touch?
    Cheers

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Hi SS

Sorry for the delay, 027 2714303 in the evening and ask for Terry. It’s done 53535 km.

@saltyseal said:
    That would certainly be of interest. I am in Taranaki, so not so far away.
    Do you have more detail etc? or can you put me in touch?
    Cheers

saltyseal
    Participant

Hi Eddie
    Thanks for the info. I’ll be in touch soon.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.